Hornworms

wow those are some huge hornworms! wish i had some right about now. :]
Yes, these 2 got huge! They're the same 2 I've posted pics of in the process of pupating. I hope they make it. I'd love some baby hornworms from them in the next few weeks.... Which brings up a question @Nursemaia do you know if they're hermaphroditic(spelling?) or what? I'm in the process of googling the process...

Yes, these 2 got huge! They're the same 2 I've posted pics of in the process of pupating. I hope they make it. I'd love some baby hornworms from them in the next few weeks.... Which brings up a question @Nursemaia do you know if they're hermaphroditic(spelling?) or what? I'm in the process of googling the process...
I don't think they are but I don't know how to sex them

how can you tell if they have gone into diapause? all of mine still seem to be alive, but some are wayyyyyy darker in color than others. Some are still a nice amber/brown color while some have changed to a very deep brown, almost black color. if i look closely too i can almost see the "fur" on the moth!!!

i'm back at school now and have MUCH LESS time to care for my bugs. (usually only early morning and late evenings).. what should i move them to in order to ensure that they can survive if they exit their cocoon while i am in clinic? would a screened cage with a plant and the cocoons laid on the bottom be suitable?

thanks for the help!

They emerged!!! I have ten moths and five that are still pupating. It's pretty cool! :)

Thanks for all the input - I really appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom