Hornworms

Cam, my veiled, had a hornworm fall on her head and she wouldn't let me pick it off of her. She just rubbed her head on a branch and rubbed the hornworm right into her mouth. I love watching them eat. All 3 of mine have completely different personalities and I can't wait until those baby melleri are ready to go. I'm dying to get mine.
They are absolutely awesome, I don't blame you! I'd love to have one of his babies but Chloe is my first Cham so I'd have to do a lot of research on them. Also, I couldn't remember if you'd tried raising hornworms or not. I've read several use hummingbird nectar when they change to moths, but was wondering if I could use some sugar water(same thing basically) and buy a small tomato plant to put in with them. I searched so many threads I can't remember which one had the really awesome info about how to raise them!

I tried it once and got a bunch of moths to hatch but then abandoned it, just easier to buy cups. Now that I'm going to be up to 4 chams and one being a mellers, that's a lot of food I'm going to need.
All the moths need is sugar water to drink and a plant to lay their eggs on. They're not picky about where they lay either so a plant with big broad leaves makes it easier to find the eggs. It's the caterpillars that need a plant or hornworm chow. No tomato plants, that makes the hornworms toxic to the chams.
I've only had veiled and panthers. This is going to be my first venture into montane species but I've done extensive research and feel prepared but it's still a little scary. I want to do everything right and I know this is a really sensitive species

I tried it once and got a bunch of moths to hatch but then abandoned it, just easier to buy cups. Now that I'm going to be up to 4 chams and one being a mellers, that's a lot of food I'm going to need.
All the moths need is sugar water to drink and a plant to lay their eggs on. They're not picky about where they lay either so a plant with big broad leaves makes it easier to find the eggs. It's the caterpillars that need a plant or hornworm chow. No tomato plants, that makes the hornworms toxic to the chams.
I've only had veiled and panthers. This is going to be my first venture into montane species but I've done extensive research and feel prepared but it's still a little scary. I want to do everything right and I know this is a really sensitive species
I'm excited for you and can't wait for updates and pics of the new addition. Do you have a date of arrival yet??

I have a reptile tank that's just sitting empty so I'm excited to turn that into my new hornworm brothel lol. So maybe a pothos to put in there with them? Also, what ratio did you use for sugar water? I've heard 1/2 -1 cup sugar to like 3 cups water?

I'm excited for you and can't wait for updates and pics of the new addition. Do you have a date of arrival yet??
He said possible the end of October, fingers crossed.
I have a reptile tank that's just sitting empty so I'm excited to turn that into my new hornworm brothel lol. So maybe a pothos to put in there with them? Also, what ratio did you use for sugar water? I've heard 1/2 -1 cup sugar to like 3 cups water?
I wasn't exactly precise on my ratio. I tried to stick to about 1:3 sugar to water. A pothos would be great

@Nursemaia: how long do you leave the cocoons in the original dirt before moving them? I think Ive read about a week? I have 2 full cocoons, today is only day 2 for that tho. I kinda dug down to get one and it started thrashing around so I left it! :eek:

I have a couple hornworms that were too big for my chameleon to eat.. looked exactly like those giant ones you posted! I let them pupate, which they are currently in the process of doing. They're in clear containers and I can see them changing everyday.. it's kind of cool. Although I don't have much faith in my ability to breed them so I think I'm just going to feed the moths to my cham, or let them go. Not sure yet!

They turn into Hawkeye moths.. right? (Or wrong? LOL!)

Gave my extra horns some Bok choi yesterday and they seemed to love it. Gave them more today.

20160826_165522.jpg

I have a couple hornworms that were too big for my chameleon to eat.. looked exactly like those giant ones you posted! I let them pupate, which they are currently in the process of doing. They're in clear containers and I can see them changing everyday.. it's kind of cool. Although I don't have much faith in my ability to breed them so I think I'm just going to feed the moths to my cham, or let them go. Not sure yet!

They turn into Hawkeye moths.. right? (Or wrong? LOL!)
I'm in the same boat as you!! They do turn into Hawkeye moths. I have 2 in cocoons but feel the same, don't have much faith in my ability to breed them either! I'm sitting here fingers crossed, just hoping to get a moth this time! Lol. Either way I agree with you, it's very exciting watching them change. I have a tank ready just in case tho, and hope to have baby green worms in a few weeks... (y):notworthy::)

@Nursemaia: how long do you leave the cocoons in the original dirt before moving them? I think Ive read about a week? I have 2 full cocoons, today is only day 2 for that tho. I kinda dug down to get one and it started thrashing around so I left it! :eek:
Once they were ready to pupate I put them into the aquarium with organic soil and just left them there until they emerged.

About two or so weeks ago I received an order of hornworms from rainbow mealworms as part of my "chameleon sampler pack".. Unfortunately, for my chameleon, about half of them were too large to be eaten. (Since I'd specifically asked for smalls with my order rainbow mealworms was kind enough to send me a replacement pod. Actually they over-nighted me TWO replacement pod's - we ended up with AT LEAST 60 some odd hornworms in our house!) Most of them have since been eaten by Custard. Fifteen of the first pod were too big to be eaten, and clearly ready to pupate, so I followed the directions on a thread (or maybe a blog) on this site.. and voila! I just dug out FIFTEEN living pupae! I don't know what I am going to do with fifteen hawkeye moths (assuming they all continue to thrive and exit their chrysalises - which I am not counting on. I haven't had any die off yet, but that could just be a matter of time as this is my first try.. ever)

I'm not sure if I should just feed them off to Custard or if I should try to get a few to lay eggs and attempt to start the cycle again.. Any thoughts?? I've heard it can be incredibly hard to get them to survive long enough to lay eggs. I also read it is extremely hard to get them to "eat". Overall, everything I have heard/read says they are hard to manage. I'm not sure what I am going to do - especially since I start school again next Tuesday and my free time is definitely going to be drastically lessened.

Tips? Tricks? Advice? Input? A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G would be greatly appreciated! :)

Here's a shot of a few of the pupae I dug up this morning after about a week or so of them being under the dirt:

Attachments

• hornworm.jpg
    hornworm.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 83
About two or so weeks ago I received an order of hornworms from rainbow mealworms as part of my "chameleon sampler pack".. Unfortunately, for my chameleon, about half of them were too large to be eaten. (Since I'd specifically asked for smalls with my order rainbow mealworms was kind enough to send me a replacement pod. Actually they over-nighted me TWO replacement pod's - we ended up with AT LEAST 60 some odd hornworms in our house!) Most of them have since been eaten by Custard. Fifteen of the first pod were too big to be eaten, and clearly ready to pupate, so I followed the directions on a thread (or maybe a blog) on this site.. and voila! I just dug out FIFTEEN living pupae! I don't know what I am going to do with fifteen hawkeye moths (assuming they all continue to thrive and exit their chrysalises - which I am not counting on. I haven't had any die off yet, but that could just be a matter of time as this is my first try.. ever)

I'm not sure if I should just feed them off to Custard or if I should try to get a few to lay eggs and attempt to start the cycle again.. Any thoughts?? I've heard it can be incredibly hard to get them to survive long enough to lay eggs. I also read it is extremely hard to get them to "eat". Overall, everything I have heard/read says they are hard to manage. I'm not sure what I am going to do - especially since I start school again next Tuesday and my free time is definitely going to be drastically lessened.

Tips? Tricks? Advice? Input? A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G would be greatly appreciated! :)

Here's a shot of a few of the pupae I dug up this morning after about a week or so of them being under the dirt:
That's awesome!! And congrats at having so many. I still have my 2 pupae that I'm anxiously watching everyday. The rest of my hornworms died, which broke my heart, and kinda hurt my wallet. Best of luck and keep me posted on how yours do! I'm hoping these 2 I have left will be the start of a new colony lol! Not holding my breath tho....

still pupating - i think three have died (i put them into a seperate container at the moment because i am not sure if they are dead or just not moving as much anymore.) if they are still "lifeless" tomorrow i'll probably chuck 'em. as to the other ones - they are still keeping on!

i'll keep you posted - as you with me! :)

still pupating - i think three have died (i put them into a seperate container at the moment because i am not sure if they are dead or just not moving as much anymore.) if they are still "lifeless" tomorrow i'll probably chuck 'em. as to the other ones - they are still keeping on!

i'll keep you posted - as you with me! :)
Mine have moved some since I seperated them. Nearly everyday I'd come home from work and they'd be in different spots. I don't think they've moved the past 2 days but they seem to still be changing. What looks like their wings are more defined so fingers crossed, they're still alive! I figure it's been nearly 2 weeks since they started to pupate/change, whatever lol. Maybe this time next week?? :confused::D
I'm dying here waiting! Lol

Ok update: my 2 are still alive and moving! I mist them everyday, and today came home and the bottom one(pic attached) had moved. When I misted them the top one started to kinda wiggle. (y)(y)
image.jpeg

Bottom one almost looks like the black spots on this side are starting get bigger and maybe split some?!? @Nursemaia I'm pretty excited about this!

Ok update: my 2 are still alive and moving! I mist them everyday, and today came home and the bottom one(pic attached) had moved. When I misted them the top one started to kinda wiggle. (y)(y)
View attachment 166229
Bottom one almost looks like the black spots on this side are starting get bigger and maybe split some?!? @Nursemaia I'm pretty excited about this!
They're looking good. I think you're going to have some yummy moths soon.

Back
Top Bottom