Hornworms too big?

rogue606

I just got my 4 month old male panther an order of 25 hornworms. They were listed as "small" but these guys are at least an inch and a half long. Should I even try feeding them to OJ? Would he maybe choke on them if they're too long? Is cutting them in half a thing that people do? Right now he's eating 1/2" crickets for a size reference.

How big is your chameleon? can you post some pictures it'd help... usually worms and softer bodied insects can be larger and easier to eat, though there is always a limit.

The cham wont choke,if they can not swallow they will spit right out n left it there,hornworm has a softer body,so I agree with everyone above.

I just got my 4 month old male panther an order of 25 hornworms. They were listed as "small" but these guys are at least an inch and a half long. Should I even try feeding them to OJ? Would he maybe choke on them if they're too long? Is cutting them in half a thing that people do? Right now he's eating 1/2" crickets for a size reference.
The age could help. If we know that, we can find out. A 4 month panther should be able to eat a small hornworm.

thanks for the replies. I don't have a picture of the worms next to him right now, but here is a pic of him about 1 week ago. Hes not quite 4 months yet. the worms are at least 2-3 times the width of his mouth I'd say. I didn't see him do it, but I believe he ate 1 or 2 as I spot checked and I can't find them in the cage any more. I really wanna see his tiny little mouth devour one of these haha

Attachments

• 20160830_140246.jpg
    20160830_140246.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 669
Mine chews them. If there was a large cricket, he chewed them too. But I suppose since there is the reported risk of chocking, so I keep the larger feeders at a minimum, and rarely feed them something big. From what I read, hornworms are more of a treat, rather than a staple feeder, and great for hydration use of course.

I went to a reptile shop that wasn't to far from my house today and they had Hornworms, very small ones so I figured well, why not, so I grabbed a cup that had maybe 35 of them and grabbed two large ones. My cham is about a year and six months, I was curious if he'd eat the large ones so when I got home I set one in his cage and BAM! He instantly snagged it and chowed it down fast, guess I'll be letting the small ones grow, lol

Update...he definitely eats the crap outta these!
He tends to wait until I've left the room after putting his feeders on his favorite leaf to actually start hunting
I put the biggest hornworm I had on his leaf and walked out of the room. 1 minute later I walk in and see him with this giant thing hanging out of his little mouth. Shoulda grabbed a picture. It took him a while to eat the whole thing but he loves them.
Thanks all for the advice.

Update...he definitely eats the crap outta these!
He tends to wait until I've left the room after putting his feeders on his favorite leaf to actually start hunting
I put the biggest hornworm I had on his leaf and walked out of the room. 1 minute later I walk in and see him with this giant thing hanging out of his little mouth. Shoulda grabbed a picture. It took him a while to eat the whole thing but he loves them.
Thanks all for the advice.
This is a coincidence. My panther was shedding, so I just left the enormous hornworm in his feeding container for the past 3 days, with a small amount of kale. I threw in about 8 crickets today. The big guy ate the big guy today!

Last edited:
If it's a big they will just chew it up. Mine just bite them in half and leave the rest on the ground

thanks for the replies. I don't have a picture of the worms next to him right now, but here is a pic of him about 1 week ago. Hes not quite 4 months yet. the worms are at least 2-3 times the width of his mouth I'd say. I didn't see him do it, but I believe he ate 1 or 2 as I spot checked and I can't find them in the cage any more. I really wanna see his tiny little mouth devour one of these haha
Beautiful guy

Back
Top Bottom