Hornworms to moths

Blizzy07

We have a few hornworms that are just humongous so we are trying to get them to turn to moths. We have seperate containers for each one with holes on top and we just put shredded paper in with them. Which I think was a bad idea so I wanted to ask what we should use instead. I have the coconut fiber substrate. That would work or no? I read it has to be dry, so I'm not sure. Cant find a detailed thread specifying these lil details

If you have planted pots in your enclosure you can just toss them in there. Otherwise try using organic potting soil that is moist for substrate. I will usually use a cricket keeper.

I was hesitant to do this but they kept eating and filling container with poop and cham was too small to eat them. I think we have green hornworms here; not sure about blue. I think a native hawk moth as adult.

I used coco fiber for mine. It worked out well... About 4 inches and little dude dug himself in and then hatched out. Pretty cool experience over all though.

I've had several horn worms that have gotten to big and gone through the cycle and became moths. I have 2 right now actually. I wasn't even trying to get them to chrysalis form, but they were just in the container they come in (with the mesh and the food, you know ?). I was going to throw them out thinking they would be dead, but there they were! Cocoons! I put them in a cricket keeper until they morphed ?

I've had silk worms do the same thing, as well as super worms morph to their beetle stage.

Bsfl (calci worms) have become the fly form just left in the container

Attachments

• 20171205_092808.jpg
    20171205_092808.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 98
  • 20171204_230733.jpg
    20171204_230733.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 153
Ohhh theyre so pretty? i cant wait? seriously one of the coolest things ive ever done is owned this chameleon and everything that came along with him. I love it lol

What about bsfl? Coco fiber also?
I leave them in the substrate that comes with them. I do empty this into one of my clear containers so I can see them as they hatch out. Mine that I order come in black containers so it is harder to know what I have going on with them. Then to move over to cage I open the cleaning door and put the container in and pop the lid. They will fly off within a minute or so. Then pull the container back out.

Ohhh theyre so pretty? i cant wait? seriously one of the coolest things ive ever done is owned this chameleon and everything that came along with him. I love it lol

I get it! I was amazed when it came out looking like that since I wasn't trying and didn't even know what to expect ?
My cham was super excited too because I put it in his cage and he devoured it ?

I have 2 right now but I can't feed them to my baby. He's still a bit too small for a snack that size

I leave them in the substrate that comes with them. I do empty this into one of my clear containers so I can see them as they hatch out. Mine that I order come in black containers so it is harder to know what I have going on with them. Then to move over to cage I open the cleaning door and put the container in and pop the lid. They will fly off within a minute or so. Then pull the container back out.

I do the exact same thing with mine ?

Only reason i asked is cuz whatever came with my larvaes has got damp from some veggies i put in with them. I know i dont have to feed them but the ones i got were super small so i felt like if i feed them theyll get bigger. But the sawdust is damp so idk if i should change it

Only reason i asked is cuz whatever came with my larvaes has got damp from some veggies i put in with them. I know i dont have to feed them but the ones i got were super small so i felt like if i feed them theyll get bigger. But the sawdust is damp so idk if i should change it
So they only pupate when they have eaten a ton and get huge. THen they almost look bloated and stop moving around. This is when they are done with food and you need to pull it. If you try to get them to pupate before they are large enough they usually will die off.

When they are worms they need to eat. So they eat hornworm food or in a pinch if your out of hornworm food they will eat carrots. You do not put sawdust in at all. Be careful what you use as a medium for them to pupate.

So they only pupate when they have eaten a ton and get huge. THen they almost look bloated and stop moving around. This is when they are done with food and you need to pull it. If you try to get them to pupate before they are large enough they usually will die off.

When they are worms they need to eat. So they eat hornworm food or in a pinch if your out of hornworm food they will eat carrots. You do not put sawdust in at all. Be careful what you use as a medium for them to pupate.
I meant for the bsfl lol

I meant for the bsfl lol
IME the just do it on their own. Takes a few weeks for me at least with the temps I keep. Although I just got in an order that got delayed 2 weeks in shipping. These are hatching out really fast. Probably because they were warmer.

They will turn into little hard black things. Then start coming out. They do not bite and are pretty slow compared to other flies. I like them because they are not large at all so being able to feed them to younger chams is totally doable.

Back
Top Bottom