Hornworms Questions-

MichelleNFrankie

Good morning chameleon lovers:D
I have a couple quick questions about hornworms, I just ordered some for my veiled, I ordered the smallest they have so I hope they're not to big for him, he's 3 1/2 - 4 months old, I'm trying to give him a huge variety like they have in the wild. Do I need to gutload them? If so, what can I gutload them with? Where and how do I store them? How healthy are they for my chameleon? How often can I give them to him and how many? The only thing I know about them is they're good for hydration, anything else they're good for? I'm always open to learning something new, if anyone has any advice. Thanks:)

Good morning chameleon lovers:D
I have a couple quick questions about hornworms, I just ordered some for my veiled, I ordered the smallest they have so I hope they're not to big for him, he's 3 1/2 - 4 months old, I'm trying to give him a huge variety like they have in the wild. Do I need to gutload them? If so, what can I gutload them with? Where and how do I store them? How healthy are they for my chameleon? How often can I give them to him and how many? The only thing I know about them is they're good for hydration, anything else they're good for? I'm always open to learning something new, if anyone has any advice. Thanks:)

Merlin LOVES hornworms!He will sit, roll over, and shake hands for them;)

Anyways, if you keep them at room temp they will grow super fast, if you want them to stay the same size keep them in a wine cooler at arouind 55 degrees ,the cups they are in have food in them , so all you have to do is turn the cup upside down and the little guys will eat. They are high in calcium like 46. 4mg but are really good for hydration. I would feed them off quickly ( I add a couple in every other day) but dont just feed him constant hornworms and nothing else, it can cause runny poop.

Hope this helps any:)

-Andrew

Your cups that you got them in should hAve food in them. I normally dump out the little pellets every couple days because that's their poop... but otherwise I don't think any gutload is necessary.

And no, you don't have to dust them.

Merlin LOVES hornworms!He will sit, roll over, and shake hands for them;)

Anyways, if you keep them at room temp they will grow super fast, if you want them to stay the same size keep them in a wine cooler at arouind 55 degrees ,the cups they are in have food in them , so all you have to do is turn the cup upside down and the little guys will eat. They are high in calcium like 46. 4mg but are really good for hydration. I would feed them off quickly ( I add a couple in every other day) but dont just feed him constant hornworms and nothing else, it can cause runny poop.

Hope this helps any:)

-Andrew

LOL:D hopefully Rango will like them as much as Merlin does:D

Great!!! Thanks so much for your help :)

Pigglett79 has a great blog with all you need to know about hornworms. They do grow fast though and if you don't have a wine cooler you can put them in the regular fridge for a day then take them out for a day then back in for a day etc. to slow their growth. My boys loved them and they are great for hydration.

I keep mine in the darkest coldest closet available. Change out the poop as MUCH as possible. POOP BAD! Will kill quickly. Careful not to overfeed them. I had a veil who begged for them, yes, literally begged for them. After laying, I let her go a a little binge on some of the way too big for anyone else ones. She got gout, I believe, in her left rear foot. It cleared up, about four weeks later. But still unwanted. :eek:

Pigglett79 has a great blog with all you need to know about hornworms. They do grow fast though and if you don't have a wine cooler you can put them in the regular fridge for a day then take them out for a day then back in for a day etc. to slow their growth. My boys loved them and they are great for hydration.

Ok thanks. Yea I read that they grow up to 4 inches, WOW that's 1 big worm:D

I keep mine in the darkest coldest closet available. Change out the poop as MUCH as possible. POOP BAD! Will kill quickly. Careful not to overfeed them. I had a veil who begged for them, yes, literally begged for them. After laying, I let her go a a little binge on some of the way too big for anyone else ones. She got gout, I believe, in her left rear foot. It cleared up, about four weeks later. But still unwanted. :eek:

Great thanks!! Will every other day 1 or 2 worms be ok?

Back
Top Bottom