Hornworms in the Uk

Andy1987

Hi all, does anybody know if it’s possible to get hornworms in the Uk, can’t seem to find them and I’ve heard that they might be on the banned import list ? Does anyone know if this is true ?

Hi can't get them in the uk the department for environment has them classed as pets . I buy pachnoda grubs

I cant find any nutritional values but I wouldn't think there would be much difference. Silkworm uk sell pachnoda grubs. And yes hornworms are classified as an invasive species

Nutrition in hornworm and grub would be very different. Hornworms are watery and pupate into moths. They feed on plant matter, usually tomato plants, but will accept many foods.

Pachnoda to beetles. They live in the ground. Grubs are meaty and higher in fat.
Most grubs only eat rotten wood, leaf litter, roots, etc...or each other lol. A friend said he was going to try soaking his leaf litter for harlequin beetle grubs in spirulina, bee pollen, and some other stuff to add nutrition. Not sure how that went though. I personally wouldn't bother.

Nutrition in hornworm and grub would be very different. Hornworms are watery and pupate into moths. They feed on plant matter, usually tomato plants, but will accept many foods.

Pachnoda to beetles. They live in the ground. Grubs are meaty and higher in fat.
Most grubs only eat rotten wood, leaf litter, roots, etc...or each other lol. A friend said he was going to try soaking his leaf litter for harlequin beetle grubs in spirulina, bee pollen, and some other stuff to add nutrition. Not sure how that went though. I personally wouldn't bother.
wouldn’t bother feeding to my Cham or gut loading ?

Correct me if I'm wrong but it is technically illegal to sell and distribute hornworms in the UK but if you were to however go and adventure outside and found one or two you could capture and feed it to your insects without breaking the law. You'd technically be doing a service for you'd be capturing, removing, and "exterminating". As long as you don't take them home and immediately feed them I believe that wouldn't be breaking any laws. Please someone who actually knows the laws in detail confirm or deny this for I don't want to be spreading false information. I also live in US so I don't know any of UK laws for anything.

Back
Top Bottom