Hornworms grew too fast

Lil P

Hey guys. So since I have taken a little break from using crickets as my main feeder, I have transferred over to hornworms and dubia roaches for now (both of which my cham loves). Roaches and worms are also soo much easier to take care of it seems.

But my problem is this: I bought a cup of hornworms and it came with their food and correct venting top ect. but they grew insanely fast. I knew they grew quick, but usually I just bought about 5 at a time so she would use them up fairly quick. Now I have quite a few horn worms that are too big for my 3 month old cham. What should I do with them and how can I avoid this in the future without starving the worms?

Thanks for any advice :)
Lake

Put in fridge 1 day, out 1 day, repeat. How big are they now?
Some medium ones (the first 2 pictures) and some bigger guys (2nd two pictures). Large ones look to be a little over 2 inches. I haven't measured exactly.

Attachments

• IMG_2130.JPG
    IMG_2130.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_2131.JPG
    IMG_2131.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_2132.JPG
    IMG_2132.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_2133.JPG
    IMG_2133.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 102
How big is your cham? Is the space between his eyes larger than the worms width?
The largest ones are pushing it, they are probably right under the max width for my cham. That's why I posted today to see if could slow growth. Which you have already answered, thanks by the way :)

How big is your cham? Is the space between his eyes larger than the worms width?
However, she did eat a few roaches the other day that were fairly large and she had no problem with them. I made sure to monitor her while she ate them to make sure no complications happened, but she dominated them.

This^ they're easy to eat. My only concern for huge ones is their bite, but my Chams smash their heads fast, as if they know.

Back
Top Bottom