Hornworm questions

RoosRens

Hello!

Soon I will have 20 pupae from Manduca Sexta. (Hornworm)
I want to breed them for our reptiles because hornworms aren't available where I live.

So I have some questions on how to do this right!

I've read they can live succesfully on Rapashy Bug Burger. My partner works in a pet store and can get it for me.
He also sells Pangea Insect Grub (cheaper)

Will that also be fine as food? Wich one will be better?
Will the worms become green if fed this kind of food?

Bug Burger:

INGREDIENTS: Alfalfa Meal, Flax Meal, Corn Meal, Potato Granules, Brewers Dried Yeast, Pea Protein Isolate, Dried Kelp, Calcium Carbonate, Carrageenan, Konjac, Carob Bean Gum, Guar Gum, Dried Krill, RoseHips, Cinnamon, Calendula Flower, Marigold Flower Extract, Phaffia Rhodozyma Yeast, Paprika Extract, Spirulina Algae, Turmeric, Salt, Potassium Citrate, Magnesium Gluconate, Canthaxanthin, Malic Acid, Calcium Propionate, Methylparaben, and Potassium Sorbate (as mold inhibitors), Lecithin, Rosemary Extract and Mixed Tocopherols (as preservatives), Vitamins (Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D Supplement, Choline Chloride, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Beta Carotene, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement).

Insect Grub:

Ingredients: Wheat Germ, Rice Bran, Oat Flour, Alfalfa Meal, Banana, Dextrose, Whey Protein, Seaweed Extract, Locust Bean Gum,Dried Pineapple, Dried Orange, Brewers Yeast, Spirulina, Potassisum Sorbate, DiCalcium Phosphate, Sodium Chloride, Mixed Tocopherols, Choline Chloride, Ferrous Sulfate, Beta Carotene, Inositol, Niacin, Kelp, Ascorbic Acid, Potassium Choloride, Riboflavin, Thiamine, Vitamin A, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Folic Acid, Sulfur, Zinc Oxide, Vitamin B12.

Also, I know I have to mist spray the pupae daily, but do I have to spray the moths and worms too?

And will the moths eat sugarwater? Hummingbird necktar isn't available here.

Pupae, moths and worms have to be kept at 13-15 hour light to prevent them going into diapause?

At what temperature do I keep pupae, moths and worms?

Any more tips and tricks for a succesful breeding?

Ok have no idea about the food but here is what I can answer, you don't have to mist the worms or moths. The moths will eat sugar water just fine, just make sure it's the right ratio. I think the hours are correct for your lighting but your temps shouldn't need to be higher than room temp. In order to breed the moths they must have a tomato plants right next to their cage or inside it. But you must collect the eggs before they hatch if they are laid on the leaves so they don't become toxic worms. That is all I know, good luck.

That helped a lot already! Thanks for your reactions!

I'll place the pupae in a closed plastic box with damp paper towels on the bottom, and the pupae on a dry layer of paper towels on top, wich they can make a mess on while emerging, and paper towels on the sides to climb on.
Will that be ok?
After emerging ill put them in a butterfly cage with sugarwater and a tomato plant.

Back
Top Bottom