Hornworm question

Bschucher

Established Member
So I just got a few hornworm and they are pretty damned large. My male Panther is about 8 months old. I put the worm on a branch and I guess those worm feet are really sticky strong. He went right for it and couldn't pull it off the branch using his tongue. I ended up just cup feeding it. He was also quick to go grab it from there, which he did without issue other than its big. Is it safe to assume that since these things are so soft and mostly water, the size won't matter? Pic for size of Virgil

Attachments

• 20210406_164548.jpg
    20210406_164548.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 93
  • 16178233742432305561974946504888.jpg
    16178233742432305561974946504888.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 105
Size does matter. If the hornworm is too big, your chameleon will end up spitting out the worm. I did this once a long time ago. I offered my cham a large hornworm, and he tried for five minutes trying to get the worm down until he finally spit it out. The whole incident seemed very stressful for him, but he didn't suffer any damage. So yes, hornworms can be too big.

Yeah, it's STILL half way out of his mouth. Not sure he can manage it. Might see if he will let me take out..

There is also a bigger bite risk with larger hornworms. Their mandibles are larger and stronger. So the issue is if they get bit then you have the potential for mouth rot developing. When they are larger their skin is also tougher. So they are not as easy to chew to get them down. Always cup or hand feed. Otherwise they suction cup to branches and tongue damage is a risk.

I'm gonna watch him closely that he eats crickets in next cpl days. Wish I would have posted this BEFORE I fed him the worm.. I'm sure he's ok. The worm came out of his mouth pretty easy.

I'm gonna watch him closely that he eats crickets in next cpl days. Wish I would have posted this BEFORE I fed him the worm.. I'm sure he's ok. The worm came out of his mouth pretty easy.
eh things happen... I am sure he will be fine. Just watch him. did he take the worm head first? If so you will want to check the inside of the mouth over the next few weeks to make sure you do not see any sign of an issue.

Actually I don't think it was head first... In fact, after all that time, the part out of his mouth was wiggling but the part near his mouth was turning black. When I pulled it out, what came out of his mouth had turned all black. Weird

Back
Top Bottom