Hornworm breeding tips????

JoshCrane1

hi there, got 4 hornworms to enter pupal stage yesterday and today i will be putting them in a screen enclosure with tomato plant, reptisun 2.0 on for 14hrs/day cycle and a branch for the moths to climb and stretch their wings. also will be putting in the 20% sugarwater mixture and perch for them as well. hopefully they will come outa coccoon in the next couple weeks. will be feeding baby worms(if i get that far) silkworm chow and then switch to hornworm chow(silkworm chow is cheaper and i think its the same oh well). i think thats it....

anything im missing here, or suggestions?

careful reminder, tomato plants being ingested by feeders is toxic to your chameleon.
yes i know, thanks, i will be feeding off the moths but they dont eat the tomato plant just the sugarwater, and lay eggs on the plant
You can give your horn worms, rose branches i think
really? never heard of that before, where did you hear it? ive seen some dogfood looking food given to them but had no idea what it was, wonder if they can eat mulberry leaves since they eat the silkworm chow.

Josh, I am getting some hormworms either tomorrow or the next day.

I have been thinking the same thing about the mulberry leaves and plan to try it.

From what I have heard they just don't grow as fast using Mulberry leaves but still grow. Them slowing a little would not be a bad thing to me.

Just a thought , we will see.

Oh and you can also feed them bell peppers as a source of food after you get them off the Tomato plant. Feed them red ones and fun things start to happen with their color. The peppers are safe to feed them off while they are on it.

really? never heard of that before, where did you hear it? ive seen some dogfood looking food given to them but had no idea what it was, wonder if they can eat mulberry leaves since they eat the silkworm chow.

I have also wondered that.

Just so you know, we used raw agave syrup mixed at about 1:4 with water for our moths. They lived for over a week. We had to sit down and tease their proboscises into to mix with a toothpick- it took patience but worked.

I have been thinking the same thing about the mulberry leaves and plan to try it.

From what I have heard they just don't grow as fast using Mulberry leaves but still grow. Them slowing a little would not be a bad thing to me.

cool, i guess i will try em too, hopefully if all goes well and i will have plenty of hornworm eggs to experiment different foods with. but since you will already have worms sooner, let me know.

are you gonna try and breed them as well?

Oh and you can also feed them bell peppers as a source of food after you get them off the Tomato plant. Feed them red ones and fun things start to happen with their color. The peppers are safe to feed them off while they are on it.

I am watching three hornworms munch down on mulberry leaves right now.! So I guess they will eat them.

Back
Top Bottom