Horned worms

I have a few qeustions about horned worms...

1. Are horned worms also know as goliath worms?

2. And how do chams. like the worms?

3. how many worms do i feed my chams.

4. whats the nutrions facts?

1. Yes
2. Love at first sight
3. Depends
4. Nutrition: 68% protein, 20.7% fat

Not to mention they are easy to digest, and full of liquid to rehydrate reptiles.

Last edited:
Will Hayward said:
1. Yes
2. Love at first sight
3. Depends
4. Nutrition: 68% protein, 20.7% fat

Not to mention they are easy to digest, and full of liquid to rehydrate reptiles.
thanks a bunch you've been really helpful, can you please answer the same q's about silk worms...

2. Undoubtibly
3. Depends
4. Nutrition: 63.8% protein, 1:2.4 Ca:p, 76% water

Also, contains serrapeptase enzyme, makes calcium absorption more efficient, reduces inflammation, pain and breaks down arterial plaque.

Ahem.. number 2...

Depends on the chameleon. My panther cham won't touch them. He has never eaten one, and no amount of coaxing will get him to eat one.

Heika

The big issue I've noticed wih hornworms is that they have a VERY strong grip. The problem is their grip is often times stonger than a chameleons tongue and they have problems pulling the worm off the branch. A chameleon can injure it's tongue or even bite down on it. After noticing this, I began feeding the worms from a cookie tray so they have nothing to get a firm grip on. I eventually gave up on the worms, but only because my chameleons seemed to like the moths better. I'm sure I'll give them a try again, but I'll be very cautious about it.

There is a personal preference for sure, but I think that goes without saying. I havent seen any species of chameleon refuse to eat them, but as far as individuals, you're right.

lowendfrequency said:
The big issue I've noticed wih hornworms is that they have a VERY strong grip.
I too have noticed this. usually if the cham. can't zap it though, it will sort of just tower over it and eat right off the branch. Lowend, your avatar, what species of chameleon is that-- flap-neck? Is he/she your personal cham? That thing is a prize; absolutely amazing coloration. do you have more photos?

edub2017 said:
I too have noticed this. usually if the cham. can't zap it though, it will sort of just tower over it and eat right off the branch. Lowend, your avatar, what species of chameleon is that-- flap-neck? Is he/she your personal cham? That thing is a prize; absolutely amazing coloration. do you have more photos?

I've actually witnessed one of my chams that was unable to pull the worm off the branch, slowly approach the worm and literally bite it right off the branch. Even then it still had trouble getting to let go.

The chameleon in my avatar is a female Chameleo Triceros fuelleborni. In all fairness, I had to adjust the brightness and contrast in that image as it was sort of dark. Here is the original picture, it shows her alot better.

fuell_fem2.jpg

lowendfrequency said:
The chameleon in my avatar is a female Chameleo Triceros fuelleborni. In all fairness, I had to adjust the brightness and contrast in that image as it was sort of dark. Here is the original picture, it shows her alot better.
do they normally have those deep red eyes? It's obvious from the picture you take excellent care of her, she looks optimal. Let me know if you ever need to rid yourself of some her offspring; I'll be waiting with open arms.

edub2017 said:
do they normally have those deep red eyes? It's obvious from the picture you take excellent care of her, she looks optimal. Let me know if you ever need to rid yourself of some her offspring; I'll be waiting with open arms.

Some of the females have the red eyes, but not all of them. I try my best at caring for them, but the previous owner deserves most of the credit. They are very rarely ever bred in captivity, so I wouldn't hold your breath for babies :) The male I have isn't interested in the ladies for some reason. :confused:

lowendfrequency said:
The male I have isn't interested in the ladies for some reason. :confused:

Wow, has to be gay. She is absolutely beautiful. I'll bet my male would take a piece of that. I know they aren't the same species, but come on....it's 2006!:D

Back
Top Bottom