horned trioceros

gubrins

Hello to everybody!

I'm doing a master's about herpetology and I wanted to do some phylogenetic study with the genus Trioceros.
I've been checking photos by internet but there are some species that are not very common, and I was wondering if you could help me.
I need to know if these species are horned or not, and if you have some photos would be awesome!:

- Trioceros balebicornutus
- Trioceros chapini
- Trioceros harennae
- Trioceros ituriensis
- Trioceros kinetensis
- Trioceros laterispinis
- Trioceros marsabitensis
- Trioceros nyirit
- Trioceros perreti
- Trioceros schoutedeni
- Trioceros schubotzi
- Trioceros serratus
- Trioceros tempeli

There are no images in internet, so if you know something about them would help me a lot!

Thank you very much!!

To the best of my knowledge I think Trioceros tempeli has a small rostral horn. The rest you should consult Chris. He has got the material to answer those questions. Off the top of my head these are the one I know.

- Trioceros balebicornutus A Small Rostral Horn
- Trioceros chapini No Horn
- Trioceros harennae No Horn
- Trioceros ituriensis No Horn
- Trioceros kinetensis No Horn
- Trioceros laterispinis No horn
- Trioceros marsabitensis No Horn
- Trioceros nyirit No Horn
- Trioceros perreti No Horn
- Trioceros schoutedeni No Horn
- Trioceros schubotzi No Horn
- Trioceros serratus No Horn
- Trioceros tempeli Small Rostral Horn

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
Thank you very much to all of you guys! I'm learning a lot reading this forum and your helps save me a lot of time! Once I have all the species categorized I will share it with you, maybe you find it interesting! :)

Regards,
Gabriel

Gabriel,

If you're going to be doing a MS thesis on these animals, I highly recommend you track down their original descriptions and some of the other relevant sources on them. Presence/absence of horns is pretty basic data, and I suspect you'll need a lot more information to complete any relevant type of MS thesis. To answer your question, however:

- Trioceros balebicornutus - Has a pair of annulated rostral horns.
- Trioceros chapini - Not horned.
- Trioceros harennae - Not horned.
- Trioceros ituriensis - Not horned.
- Trioceros kinetensis - Not horned.
- Trioceros laterispinis - Not horned.
- Trioceros marsabitensis - Has a single annulated rostral horn.
- Trioceros nyirit - Rostrum comes to a bulbous knob covered in enlarged scales similar to T. hoehnelii, but similarly lacks annulated horns.
- Trioceros perreti - Not horned.
- Trioceros schoutedeni - Not horned.
- Trioceros schubotzi - Not horned.
- Trioceros serratus - Not horned.
- Trioceros tempeli - Horns are variable. Rostrum can end in a single enlarged rostral scale, two enlarged rostral scales, or small annulated horn.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom