Horn Worm Damage!

NERVOUS

Avid Member
Apparently, it's a BAD idea to leave an unsupervised Horn worm in your Chameleon enclosure... As they will greedily snack on your Pothos leaves! :mad:

Earlier today I put a Horn worm in my Chameleon enclosure. Normally, these things don't last very long as my Chameleon absolutely loves them! I was preoccupied at the time, so as soon as I saw my Chameleon lock-on to it I figured game over, and I moved on to other things.

Approximately an hour later, I returned to my Chameleon enclosure to see how things were going. Much to my surprise the Horn worm was still wandering around. I moved the Horn worm to where my Chameleon could see it (again) and figured this was definitely it - GAME OVER! Sure enough, the expected course of events played out.

However, this particular Horn worm would have the last laugh... Somehow it managed to escape certain death (the first time around) and ate 1/2 a Pothos leaf before eventually meeting its demise (the second time around)!

Last edited:
That is soooo strange. I thought hornworms only ate plants that were members to the nightshade family. Very strange.

Hmm, maybe I'm placing blame on the wrong food item? As far as I know the only food items I've ever left uneaten in the cage are:
- Crickets
- This particular Horn worm.
- Once a determined Super worm escaped the feeding cup I use and wandered around for a bit, but it stayed on the screened walls and floor the whole time. Also, that was a while ago... And I'm pretty sure I would've noticed half of this leaf missing.

My Chameleon couldn't be the culprit, right?

It could be the cham eating it, although I haven't had a panther eat them, only my jackson. But hornworms will eat a variety of veggies. I feed them squash, sweet potato, greens, carrots etc and they readily eat them.

Back
Top Bottom