Home-made stuff!

Drakevaldor

Hey guys!
As my other thread suggests, I'm new here, but I wanted to get a couple ideas off you guys.
In the past I have made home-made cages for just about everything...rabbits, birds, Iguanas, ect, but I am new to the Cham business. I wanted to see what your take was on having home-made (done correctly, of course) enclosures and other things. I also wanted to see what you thought the best way to go about making such a thing would be. I would like to make:
A) A home-made screen enclosure, to get her out of the tank, but still be able to use the heat lamps
B) A home-made drip/water system.
I have no issues misting her regularly myself. Let me know what you think and if you have ideas! She's very small right now, but I'd hope she can grow into it.

so you are saying you are keeping your chameleon in an aquarium tank? how large is it? Even if it is large, it really is not the most suitable environment and you are right in wanting to get her into a screen cage. How old is your chameleon and what species is she? Why not just purchase a cage? LLL reptile has a good selection. You can buy a dripper from the pet store for $10They are cheap and work great. I have the Little Dripper.

If you are thinking about building a cage with a wood frame and some type of metal mesh, really you aren't going to save too much money if you are only building one cage. You might as well buy a cage.

You may be able to save some cash if you make something with a pvc frame and some type of plastic garden mesh... Although that wouldn't look very nice and wouldn't last very long.

so you are saying you are keeping your chameleon in an aquarium tank? how large is it? Even if it is large, it really is not the most suitable environment and you are right in wanting to get her into a screen cage. How old is your chameleon and what species is she? Why not just purchase a cage? LLL reptile has a good selection. You can buy a dripper from the pet store for $10They are cheap and work great. I have the Little Dripper.

Most of this stuff I mentioned in my other post, but I was going off someone's post here about home made things.
Pet stores here do not sell the drippers, and the cages are difficult to find here, though I'm sure they exist. She's very small, I just got her friday, only about 3 inches. The tank is a current thing to keep her warm (With the heat light) since our house heating is having issues at the moment (Something with the furnace is screwy). once that's fixed, I plan to fix up a screen cage. I have seen people saying that creating a cage is a good idea (Even the admin's post about it seemed interesting!)

If you really want to make your own cage, if you look at most of the commercial caging, they are just made out of commercial aluminum window screen and framing available at any hardware store. You can drill small holes and screw the framing at the edges to fasten it together into a box, and do the same to attach a couple of small hinges on the door.

Most of this stuff I mentioned in my other post, but I was going off someone's post here about home made things.
Pet stores here do not sell the drippers, and the cages are difficult to find here, though I'm sure they exist. She's very small, I just got her friday, only about 3 inches. The tank is a current thing to keep her warm (With the heat light) since our house heating is having issues at the moment (Something with the furnace is screwy). once that's fixed, I plan to fix up a screen cage. I have seen people saying that creating a cage is a good idea (Even the admin's post about it seemed interesting!)

Where are you located? Why type of cham do you have?. Be very careful with a glass tank and a heat light. you can cook your cham very easily. What are your temps? Are you using anything for UVB light?

Yes, I do have a UVB light. Running at 85 on the hot side of the tank at the moment. We're in GA, and we're getting this ice storm that nobody really expects around here. But regardless, as I said, the tank is a temporary thing. that's why I'm asking for opinions. I wasn't really expecting quite so many "you shouldn't have him in a tank" posts as much as ideas.

Yes, I do have a UVB light. Running at 85 on the hot side of the tank at the moment. We're in GA, and we're getting this ice storm that nobody really expects around here. But regardless, as I said, the tank is a temporary thing. that's why I'm asking for opinions. I wasn't really expecting quite so many "you shouldn't have him in a tank" posts as much as ideas.

No need to be affended we are just watching out for the well being of your chameleon... Anyway you can just order a cage online...

I wasn't offended. I'm just trying to gather ideas before I make any decisions. I could order one, yes, I just want to soak in all the possibilities first.

Sorry, but I have seen plenty people on here get baby chams and stick them in tanks with lights that are way too hot and then they are trying to figure out what is wrong when the chameleon becomes ill. Being only three inches long, it is obviously very young. Your cage/tank temp should be in the mid to low 70's with a basking spot of about 80 degrees. As long as the overall cage temp is in that range you should be ok. Not trying to tell you what to do, just looking out for the best interest of your chameleon here.

Back
Top Bottom