home made misting system

jacquesvanzijl

Hi Guys

I have designed a system here which i think can work and will cost cheaper.
Please have a look and tell me your ideas, i have attach a picture of my design

By using a fish water pump.

Attachments

• water misting system.jpg
    water misting system.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 267
I have 5 cages underneath a homemade system almost identical to the diagram you've posted. I have had it running for well over a year and it certainly does its job. However, I see that you have a fish pump to push your water, and they have very weak pressure. You won't create a mist, more like dribble. The more cages/sprinkler heads you add, the more the output is diminished. I started with a very small outdoor pond pump (155 gallons per hour) and had to upgrade to a much larger 300+ gallon per hour pump for it to have enough strength to supply enough water through the 8 or so feet of tubing I have on that particular set of cages. The volume of water I must supply is now much more than with the Mistking I also have. The Mistking produces more PSI and is able to create the very fine mist. I commend you though, I have always enjoyed building my own do-it-yourself projects. Each one has its advantages and disadvantages.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/new-drainage-system-45871/

I added the 14th cage to my mistking system, it took took 10min that included mounting a misting head.No leaks, no wasted time getting it to work. Think of all the time your spending getting it to work. and then look at your hourly wage. Im sure your better off buying a mistking...

you are right... just here in south africa its real.. REALLY EXPENSIVE...
but i need to do it... Veiled and Panther Chams need around 50% humidity right?

Well how many chams do you have? If you got 1-3 ive set up a system that has a fine mist for about .$25 and another for $10 (not automated)

DYI is great im all for it but after having 2 mistkings it damm hard to beat their product, and you have support, and they are a site sponsor!!!

you are right... just here in south africa its real.. REALLY EXPENSIVE...
but i need to do it... Veiled and Panther Chams need around 50% humidity right?

I keep my humidty above 75%slightly(lower at night) for both veileds and panthers, If your keeping your humidty at 50% for your veiled your asking for trouble.I use to keep my humidity lower at one point and had lots of problems with my veiled, pluged tear ducts, and eye problems were some side effects from low humidity that i had

Hi Guys

I have designed a system here which i think can work and will cost cheaper.
Please have a look and tell me your ideas, i have attach a picture of my design

By using a fish water pump.

Just a reminder, the usual fish pumps will not be able to tolerate the pressure you need for the mist heads. Even if you are looking for a higher power fish pump (2000L/hr fish tank sump pump) they will burn very quickly due to the pressure.

however, you can look for a piston pumps, which is specially made for high pressure, low flow-rate (exp: the water pump in your car), they have a very long working hours and they are cheap, you can always find some under USD20 in the local garage.

Back
Top Bottom