Home-made enclosure

Awesome! Make sure it gases off for a week. You will be using branches not just the dowels right? Your going to need different dimensions. That way he is not always gripping the same sized branches. Dowels can get slick so watch how he does on those.
Yeah he’s going to have a range of vines and other branches in there too! :)

Thank you so much for your advice!! Here is the enclosure I have just finished making... What do you think!? View attachment 293157
I don’t know if it’s clear to see, but the fake plants at the back are just for show... they actually in bruise a Perspex screen, so I won’t be losing my panther or any bugs in there! I’ve also got a few tacks hidden around there for me to attach his usual vines to when I set it up properly! I have bought some massive live plants to go in there and tomorrow’s job is to get it all put in place!
Sarah
Very nice!

Dimensions? And will it sit on the floor or up on a stand/table?

I like the drain pan drawer. How will water get out of the drain pan?

What's the plan for maintaining humidity?

"they actually in bruise a Perspex screen" :confused: Does that mean there's a layer of screen between the fake plants and enclosure interior? :unsure:

At some point, I hope you'll add some pics to ***The Third Official Enclosure Picture Thread*** :)

Very nice!

Dimensions? And will it sit on the floor or up on a stand/table?

I like the drain pan drawer. How will water get out of the drain pan?

What's the plan for maintaining humidity?

"they actually in bruise a Perspex screen" :confused: Does that mean there's a layer of screen between the fake plants and enclosure interior? :unsure:

At some point, I hope you'll add some pics to ***The Third Official Enclosure Picture Thread*** :)
It’s 125cm tall, 125cm wide and 60cm deep. It’s going on a stand... now I’ve got it home, I’ve realised how huge it is in my tiny house! 😂
Going to monitor humidity for a while... I’m assuming with it being so much bigger than his current enclosure, it would be a different story? Any recommendations in particular?
Spell-check error- was meant to say “behind Perspex”. So the fake plants are attached to the very back side of the enclosure and then covered with Perspex. More than happy to share photos and the process :)

It’s 125cm tall, 125cm wide and 60cm deep. It’s going on a stand... now I’ve got it home, I’ve realised how huge it is in my tiny house! 😂
Going to monitor humidity for a while... I’m assuming with it being so much bigger than his current enclosure, it would be a different story? Any recommendations in particular?
Spell-check error- was meant to say “behind Perspex”. So the fake plants are attached to the very back side of the enclosure and then covered with Perspex. More than happy to share photos and the process :)
When my chams were still around, I had 3 digital thermometer-hygrometer combos in each cage to measure ambient temps and humidity levels. I really like the ones I have, as they have a high and low measurement for both temps and humidity over a 24 hr period and reset each day afterwards. You might need more than 3 because of your cage size, depending on your preferences and what your cage lay out will be.

It depends on several variables. Since you're in the UK, I thought you might've gone with a hybrid enclosure, but there are other methods of retaining humidity. Passive methods include wrapping the enclosure in a moisture barrier (e.g. storm window kits are good for this) and or raising ambient RH. Active methods include more frequent misting, fogging, and installing a cool air humidifier in the enclosure.

It depends on several variables. Since you're in the UK, I thought you might've gone with a hybrid enclosure, but there are other methods of retaining humidity. Passive methods include wrapping the enclosure in a moisture barrier (e.g. storm window kits are good for this) and or raising ambient RH. Active methods include more frequent misting, fogging, and installing a cool air humidifier in the enclosure.
The cool-air humidifier is the fogger, and @Sarahhh it should only be used during the coldest part of the night and only if it’s lower than 68*F, but preferably lower than that. The cool-mist fogger also needs to be cleaned thoroughly and often, including the tubes and any other accessories used (if the fogger you go with comes with one), not just the fogger itself. Also, if it does come with tubes, make sure to place the output tube at the top of the enclosure so the fog rolls down. If the tubes are the crinkly type, switch them out for slick sided ones, like PVC pipe or vinyl tubing, for easier cleaning and better fogging. If you do cover the sides of the cage and still need more humidity, add more live plants, and if you still need more, only cover the top part of the front doors and keep the bottom part clear of any obstructions so there is a working chimney effect. Bill Strand goes more into this on The Chameleon Academy, so just let me know if want a link!

Not exactly.
reptile fogger vs. cool-mist humidifier
There may be a difference in terminology.

Foggers are used at night; cool mist humidifiers may be necessary in the room during the day if minimum humidity levels can't be achieved any other way.
Yes, but each serves the same purpose for chameleons. Whole room cool-mist humidifiers (not the cage sized ones that are used for fogging) can be used in the room a chameleon is kept in during the day for added humidity, but it is a last resort. Sealing the back, sides, and top part of the front of the cage, adding more live plants (until you can’t add any more if needed), and longer misting sessions should be used first. Another option is going bioactive, because the substrate will help add and stabilize humidity as well.

@Pickle-cham @ERKleRose @Beman @Klyde O'Scope @Pearl Fields ,
Thank you so much for your advice!! Here is the enclosure I have just finished making... What do you think!? View attachment 293157
I don’t know if it’s clear to see, but the fake plants at the back are just for show... they actually in bruise a Perspex screen, so I won’t be losing my panther or any bugs in there! I’ve also got a few tacks hidden around there for me to attach his usual vines to when I set it up properly! I have bought some massive live plants to go in there and tomorrow’s job is to get it all put in place!
Sarah
Will you make me one!

Back
Top Bottom