Home made cage

kaylie

So I bought a 2x2x4 Reptibreeze, brought it home and put it together, and the bottom part popped out just from tapping it. So I returned it and built a 2x3x4.5 which is sooo much better. I'm gonna put the wood sealer on it when the weather gets better, then add screen and we're ready to decorate.
cage.jpg

I am sure you cham will love it! And living in Florida and all to enjoy the year round sunshine!

Thanks! I'm not going to trust leaving this cage outside because we dont have our own fence and there's an alley going around the house where middle school kids cut through everyday- and I've had a smaller cage stolen off the porch before. This will be his inside cage. I'm going to use the round hanging one I have for outside since I only got it for $5. Only problem is he absolutely hates me so I dont know how often I'll be able to move him :rolleyes:

I got this, is this ok?
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100136801/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
Edit: I have a rain system so it has to be seriously water proof.

And a light question... when I brought the 2x2x4, I got a 20" hood for an 18" reptisun. Should I go bigger if my cage is 2x3, or is it ok?

That's what I used on all of my cages and they are holding up against the water very well. I used 2 coats of stain and then 2-3 coats of poly, as thick as possible and then let them dry for about a month.

So it's dry now with 4 coats, but do I have to let it cure before I put screen on and decorate? I don't know if I'm patient enough to not do anything with it for a whole month...

very nice cage. I love building my own from scratch. The picture however, isn't as big as I'd like it to be to properly see it, but it does look like there is a spacious gap between the door opening and the left side of the frame. if that is the case, I would suggest putting a PVC board, or plexiglass runner on the back covering the gap to block feeders from escaping.

very nice cage. I love building my own from scratch. The picture however, isn't as big as I'd like it to be to properly see it, but it does look like there is a spacious gap between the door opening and the left side of the frame. if that is the case, I would suggest putting a PVC board, or plexiglass runner on the back covering the gap to block feeders from escaping.

There is plywood blocking that space. It annoyed me to have to put it there because the guy at home depot cut the wood wrong

Oh as soon as the wood was dry enough to touch, I put my cages together and attached all the branches and stuff. I waited a month to put the cham in though, because it still smelled like stain/poly for about a month.

You can check out how I put mine together here: https://www.chameleonforums.com/cage-plans-2x2x5ft-wooden-cage-33813/

:)

Ok cool, at least I can do something hehe. and I can take my time making it awesome without stressing a cham inside, so that's one plus

It's been a little over two weeks, and I can't smell the polyurethane anymore except when I put my nose right up on it, and even then it is a faint smell. Do you think it's safe yet? I'm going crazy letting it sit there empty!

Back
Top Bottom