Hole covered but no eggs

Metal725

Our female panther had been digging her hole for most of the day. When i came home from work, she had covered it up and was hanging out at the top of the cage. She wasnt very dirty and still looked pretty big. My wife and i took the bucket out of her cage and thoroughly checked the dirt twice and found nothing. Just curious as to why she covered the hole even though she never laid any eggs. This isnt her first time laying eggs so it confused me a little. I put the bucket back in her enclosure and today she wants nothing to do with it. I have her covered and am VERY careful when peeking in. Anybody else have their females cover holes without laying?

Usually if they dig a hole and fill it in intentionally they are eggbound....sorry to have to tell you that...I'd like to be proven wrong.

If Kinyonga is correct and I would definitely take it as true, I would recommend going to a vet sooner than later. Hopefully she will respond to oxytocin and a little calcium.

Thank you for your responses!!

She seems healthy, eating, drinking, and pooping. Could this just be an EARLY sign of being egg bound? Either way, I will make an appointment ASAP.

She has a laying bin in her cage at all times and she had started digging her holes on Sunday 7/12 and found the perfect one on Monday 7/13. When i got home from work, she had covered the hole and my wife and I thoroughly checked the dirt and found no eggs. She started digging more holes today 7/14 so I’m letting her do her thing and hoping for the best. She has laid fertile clutches before so i figured she wouldn’t have a problem this time.

My ladies play in the dirt for 3-5 days sometimes before laying. I keep notes on each female to learn their patterns and behavior of laying. One female of mine did the exact same thing today, as well. However, I know her behavior to be an OCD mom. She preps and practices for days, where others just drop down, lay and run. The only truly way to know if eggbound, is to A) know your cham as an individual and/or B) vet check. Always best, not to wait too long if you are really worried.

So our little beauty is still digging away after almost a week. She is still eating, drinking, and pooping and is very active. Still hoping for the best and that she isnt eggbound. Definitely taking her into the vet on Monday if she doesnt lay by the end of the weekend.

Just a quick update....

After doing a little more research and doing everything i could for her before taking her to a vet and hoping to prevent her from being egg bound, i bought some sand and added some to her dirt. Within an hour she was down in the bucket digging away and 3 hours later we found 24 eggs near the bottom. It took her a week of digging holes, covering them, and in and out of her laying bin with no results. A little bit of sand and the deed was done within 3 hours. With these 24 eggs and the 20 from her first clutch about 3 months ago, we will hopefully have plenty of mouths to feed at the end of the year and early next year.

Attachments

• 20150719_211841.jpg
    20150719_211841.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 108
  • 20150719_214619.jpg
    20150719_214619.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 20150719_201525.jpg
    20150719_201525.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 86
  • 20150719_201412.jpg
    20150719_201412.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 111
Just a quick update....

After doing a little more research and doing everything i could for her before taking her to a vet and hoping to prevent her from being egg bound, i bought some sand and added some to her dirt. Within an hour she was down in the bucket digging away and 3 hours later we found 24 eggs near the bottom. It took her a week of digging holes, covering them, and in and out of her laying bin with no results. A little bit of sand and the deed was done within 3 hours. With these 24 eggs and the 20 from her first clutch about 3 months ago, we will hopefully have plenty of mouths to feed at the end of the year and early next year.

NICE! Babies coming soon! Glad you can rest easy now and not have to worry about it!

Just a quick update....

That's good news! My girls always like sand. Is she eating and drinking?

Yes she has been eating, drinking, and i bought horn and silkworms as well. She had a very large poop and urate the day after laying so i think these eggs (the eggs themselves seemed larger than her first clutch) were plugging her up :)

Yes she has been eating, drinking, and i bought horn and silkworms as well. She had a very large poop and urate the day after laying so i think these eggs (the eggs themselves seemed larger than her first clutch) were plugging her up :)

It sounds like she it doing well. The little girls have to work so hard but it sounds like you are doing a good job taking care of her. Keep up the good work.

Thank you!! I did a lot of research before getting a female to mate with our male and we ended up unknowingly buying a pregnant female from a local reptile show. Exactly 30 days from buying her she started digging and laid 20 fertile eggs. 3 months later she had 24 more. Definitely unexpected but so far so good. Our male will have to wait his turn until after these babies are born so i know what I'm doing is correct and before i put her, him, and myself through anymore stress :D

Back
Top Bottom