Holding my cham

plop9025

Established Member
My veiled cham is very aggressive. If i try to get him he will puff up and hiss and snap at me. I want to get him outside some days when its sunny and warm out but I dunno if I should mess with him. Would it be good to put on a pair of gloves and try to get him to calm down enough to get him out the cage and take him outside or should I just let him be?

I would use a stick and try to get him to crawl on it. Put it underneath him and try to swipe him on the stick. Sometimes they are less aggressive outside the cage.. Well at least from my experience... When holding him put him above your eye level..

I currently have 3 veileds and they are all grumpy when i first try to get them out of their cage.* I do not handle them regularily and only take them out when I need too.* But I do know that everytime I try to hold them to get them out they are very aggressive at first.* I usually wear a pair of gloves.* Not that I am afraid of the bite, but just because i am afraid of my natural reaction to suddenly pull back and possibly cause damage to my babies.* They have never actually bitten me but just hiss and "strike" at me.* My one buddy always calls them snakes the way they strike.* But just go in there and grab them they will settle down once you get them out.* I know many people may disagree with me, but I feel the stress is less when you just grab them and they usually settle right down once i have them and let them crawl up and down my arms.* I hope this helps!

my veiled

My veiled is between 2 - 3 months old and has yet to frill or hiss at me when handling him. Like the above comment, I too agree to just get in there and kind of "force" him onto your hands. I try to do this once, daily just to get him used to me entering the enclosure and handling him. So far it has worked and does not stress him out at all. Granted there is probably a low level of stress that is caused but nothing like putting the chameleon in front of a mirror or in an enclosure with another cham.

My cham actually came to my hand today, which tells me he trust me a little more than yesterday. It takes time and patients.

Back
Top Bottom