Hissing even when I try to feed

Hi! I have had my veiled for about 1 1/2 years and he has become very aggressive. I know it is normal for them to be aggressive and territorial as adults but he even gets angry when I try to feed him and sometimes he even puffs up when I just walk into the room. I end up just putting the crickets in the cage and letting him hunt them, but he usually stays in the same spot in his cage and doesn't find them. I am not concerned about handling him because I know that will not happen but I want to make sure he is eating so he doesn't starve. Should I just try to cup feed him?

My guy is pretty much the same. Recently got a bird feeder bowl for his insects. It's 6" dia. about 3" or 4" high. Made of hard durable thick plastic.-clear
Has a nice nut to attach to any branch. Got it at Dr. foster and smith probable get at most stores. Works great for worms and crickets.

I jjust st put a few cry cites in a cup and put them in his cage. He seemed interested but did not eat any. I will check later to see if he ate them

image.jpeg
He just climbed out of the cage and on my cage but he hasn't done that since I switched him from his other cage. He still has not eaten though

Is there much traffic thru his area other than you? Anyone that goes near him needs to be slow and steady at all times in front of them or they will always be jumpy

I used a cup for a while and I found that holding the cup angled so they could see the crix/food was a helpful intermediate step. Sort of like "hand-cup-feeding". Once they associate the food with the cup, they'll catch on!

Is there much traffic thru his area other than you? Anyone that goes near him needs to be slow and steady at all times in front of them or they will always be jumpy
Only me and my dad go in my room and occasionally my sister and mom but only for about a minute and then they leave. I know he is used to my dad because my dad usually feeds him in the mornings and on weekends.
Could he be bored of them? Maybe try another insect.
I am trying to get silkworms and hornworms but all the sites recommended are out of stock. I also put some fruit in his cage about once a week.

I know this is going to sound odd but our girl does that to my Husband . We could not figure out why . One day he did not have his glasses on and she was fine . If she see's him with his glasses she gets all pissy , like a attack Chamaeleon all leopard like . He can be in the dining room with them on and if she sees him at all she gets crazy mad . So he keeps them off when she out or he visiting or feeding and she's fine . Don't know if I wear glasses .

You know how it is with cooties! Boys are so afraid that girls will give them cooties! Give the little guy a kiss! Maby he is a prince! Just kidding! All the advice you have received are great! Hang in there! Better days are comming!

I know this is going to sound odd but our girl does that to my Husband . We could not figure out why . One day he did not have his glasses on and she was fine . If she see's him with his glasses she gets all pissy , like a attack Chamaeleon all leopard like . He can be in the dining room with them on and if she sees him at all she gets crazy mad . So he keeps them off when she out or he visiting or feeding and she's fine . Don't know if I wear glasses .
That happened with mine! My mom sometimes wears glasses and she HATED them! And sweatpants

Only me and my dad go in my room and occasionally my sister and mom but only for about a minute and then they leave. I know he is used to my dad because my dad usually feeds him in the mornings and on weekends.

I am trying to get silkworms and hornworms but all the sites recommended are out of stock. I also put some fruit in his cage about once a week.
Green banana roaches are also a good choice for food. If you are able to get them, some chams go crazy about green insects.

When someone wore sweatpants and we had to take her out to clean her tank she would REFUSE to be touched :ROFLMAO:
That's funny , Frances with my Husbands glasses she gets all puffed turns in to this beautiful tiger chameleon. If he puts his hand in there to feed her she would snap at him . Frances is not usually like that . We do let her do what she wants come out when she wants . We really don't handle her unless it's nessesery or if she comes over to us . Yeah she really hates glasses . She must just see her self and think it's some huge chameleon.

but watch out if you have a superworm crawling around on your hand he will almost fall off his perch getting to it

Back
Top Bottom