Hibiscus plant problems..Ants and mold

Okay so I have a hibiscus tree that I plan on putting into my chameleons cage, but I have two problems. First, the stem is moldy green and I have no clue how to safely remove it because I doubt it would be a good idea to put a tree with a moldy stem into a wet place like a chameleon cage. And second, I have discovered that there are a lot of ants climbing in the soil of the plant. I read that aphids could be the reason for ants to show up on hibiscus plants, but I cannot find any aphids on the plant anywhere. I hope someone can help me cause I really have no clue when it comes to trees and plants. And I will be using a grow light for the hibiscus.

Just take a regular household sponge and scrub the mold off in the tub. Also take the plant out of the soil and re-pot into new soil. I use Miracle Grow dirt packs, but you can use any dirt really. Re-potting is just to get rid of all the ants that are trying to forage or nest in your pllant pot. Rinse off the plant outside or in the tub to get rid of the ants. Hibiscus is a hardy plant, but be warned that is needs a lot of light. I use two and rotate them, one inside, and one outside. Also, I always use some Ortho bug killer in a 3 foot radius on the floor around my outdoor plant stands. I hate when ants decide that my chameleon plants look like good homes.

Thanks Vigilant that sounds like a good plan. The only plants that I find that I like for my chams cage are hibiscus so I'm gonna give it a go with the grow light and hopefully it'll flourish but we'll see. And tell me about it! I have ant problems but I'm afraid to spray any ant killer around where my cham may go.

You have mold for a reason. The conditions are too wet and not enough airflow. You MUST address this issue otherwise it will continue no matter how many times you wash your plant.

Well the plant hasn't even been in the cage yet. I had received it with the mold already on it. I'm trying to do this the right way, dont worry!

I had an ant problem a few months ago, and what I did was take the plant out of the pot, then rinse the entire stem-root area, and change the dirt. I haven't seen them since. :)

Thanks Vigilant that sounds like a good plan. The only plants that I find that I like for my chams cage are hibiscus so I'm gonna give it a go with the grow light and hopefully it'll flourish but we'll see. And tell me about it! I have ant problems but I'm afraid to spray any ant killer around where my cham may go.

I have heard that people use a 6500K full spectrum light for Hibiscus and it grows good. I have not used that though.

I had an ant problem a few months ago, and what I did was take the plant out of the pot, then rinse the entire stem-root area, and change the dirt. I haven't seen them since. :)
Well then that's what I'm gonna do! Thanks!

I have heard that people use a 6500K full spectrum light for Hibiscus and it grows good. I have not used that though.

That's the bulb I plan to use so that's great to know, I was unsure of how it will do but that gives me a little more confidence that this is a good decision!

Repot it in organic soil mixed with sand and line the bottom of the pot with river rocks (you will want to increase drainage so it doesn't become waterlogged while in the cage). Scrub off the mold as good as possible and monitor it.

I would never use insect killer anywhere near my chams.

This is why when I replanted my 4' unbrella plant that I washed it down to the bare roots system. I then used a pot with some nice drainage holes and the plant just drains into my drainage bin for the cage. It is a great system I have going on.

i know you said you coudnt find anything you liked.. what about a camellia/ i like it its nice flowers and its pretty sturdy and i like star/confederate jasmine too :)

Back
Top Bottom