Hi what size should my 4 month old translucent chameleon be, is he big?

Jack135

My translucent chameleon is 5 and a half inches long from snout to vent is this big or small? I will weigh him soon thanks I will also post pics soon but when I last weighed him a few weeks to a month ago he was nearly 50 grams I will weigh him again soon

hi, welcome to the forums. To help us check on your husbandry please fill out the form below.
Photos of your cham/cage would also help:)

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

So there isn't a perfect answer to this question, but it can vary a lot. Depending on things that are out of our control, such as genetics, and things we could be unaware of, like parasites, or variables such as amount and type of feeders and what the feeder nutrition is, enclosure conditions, and tons of other things, there is no one answer to this.

I have seen some very young veileds show adult traits earlier than the average, and others that are late bloomers. A few pics of your Shadow could help! (First off, we love the pics ;) , but also we can sometimes tell a lot about their condition and possible concerns that could be present.)

Pictures would help... but if he is 50 grams I don’t think he is 4 months old that seems really big to me. But I’m not experienced in veiled chams so I could be wrong!

So I just saw your other post about naming him (not sure how I missed that one :oops:) and he doesn't seem too big to me. I was concerned more with overfeeding, but don't see any evidence of that.

same i just saw it as well and if you could fill out the form we could give you tips and help you to give your chameleon a better life:) (too many new chameleon owners find this forum too late and realize they are doing stuff wrong due to misleading information on the internet

Last edited:
hi, welcome to the forums. To help us check on your husbandry please fill out the form below.
Photos of your cham/cage would also help:)

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled chameleon (chameleo calyptrus) 4 months 1 week and he is male
  • Handling - usually once a day as he is freindLy but haven’t handled him for a week as he has been shedding
  • Feeding - 7 to 25 3/4 of an inch to half an inch crickets and some wax worms every day
  • Supplements - Earth-pro-ca every other day and Nutrobal multivitamin every other day and CalciumPro on sundays.
  • Watering - I mist once or twice a day and give him as much water as he wants with a syringe evry day
  • Fecal Description - Usually firm with no smell and white unrated with sometimes a bit of yellow
  • History - Bought from a reputable pet store he was smaller than his brother but once we bought him he started growing rapidly.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage my cage is birch with a glass screen and is 3.5 feet tall and 2x2 feet
  • Lighting - 10 percent linear uvb
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Basking spot is 35 degrees celcuis and bottom of cage is about 28 degrees
  • Humidity - Humidity is 50 percent measured using a hydrometer
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? No live plants
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? It is in a sort of corner with a window above it not near any air vents
  • Location - England good sir, Northampton

same i just saw it as well and if you could fill out the form we could give you tips and help you to give your chameleon a better life:) (too many new chameleon owners find this forum too late and realize they are doing stuff wrong due to misleading information on the internet
Ty

You could definitely mist a bit more often, in my opinion, and would not really need to do the syringe thing. Slightly longer sessions sometimes encourage drinking, but often you may not see them drink at all. The droplets on the leaves are a great source of drinking opportunities.

You could definitely mist a bit more often, in my opinion, and would not really need to do the syringe thing. Slightly longer sessions sometimes encourage drinking, but often you may not see them drink at all. The droplets on the leaves are a great source of drinking opportunities.
I have seen him drink before but I don’t mind giving him water through a syringe thanks

So there isn't a perfect answer to this question, but it can vary a lot. Depending on things that are out of our control, such as genetics, and things we could be unaware of, like parasites, or variables such as amount and type of feeders and what the feeder nutrition is, enclosure conditions, and tons of other things, there is no one answer to this.

I have seen some very young veileds show adult traits earlier than the average, and others that are late bloomers. A few pics of your Shadow could help! (First off, we love the pics ;) , but also we can sometimes tell a lot about their condition and possible concerns that could be present.)
Oh also he is 85 grams now and is just over 4 months and a week

Back
Top Bottom