Hi Im new and looking for some advice

dan chameleon

Hi everyone im new to the world of chameleon's and i have some questions that you can answer im looking to getting a chameleon not sure if ill get a yemen or a panther just yet as i want to make sure that i have a good set-up before i actully get one , i haven't got anything yet ie viv as i have done a lot of looking around at diffrent peoples set ups , what is best vivarium to get and where from i live in the uk on a recent visit to scales and fangs in leigh on sea they were offering for £300 a complete setup including a sliding glass fron viv not quite sure on the other parts that come with as i want to make sure that i get the correct vivarium before anything else any help would be great

I would avoid a glass enclosure as it stresses Chams a lot....

Have a look at www.surreypetsupplies.com for some of the best prices in the UK.

Probably best to buy the equipement you need seperately, but essentially you will need

1x viv (the 4x2x2 Reptibreeze is a ggod size for one adult Cham)(£88)
1x dimming thermostat (£40)
Heat bulb clamp lamp (£15)
R80 reflector bulbs (homebase etc) (£1 each) - just as good as the £5 reptile ones!)
UVB Starter - Go for the new T5 type (£40)
UVB Tube - Again go for the new T5 arcadias (£30)
Digital Thermometer & Hygrometer (£15 ish)

Lots of plants (Ficus, Umbrella, Pothos etc) and garden canes etc to climb on, maybe get some of that plastic garden trellis stuff - Felix loves clambering about on this

Garden Mister for Spraying the viv (£5) or eventually maybe a rain or misting system (£90)

You could also look at making a dripper and feeding cup yourself (I used a plastic pint glass for my dripper with a pin hole in it - it just sits on the top of the cage and drips into a plant)

I went for a Panther, and can't be happier with him.

I would avoid a glass enclosure as it stresses Chams a lot....

Actually that's just a myth. The reason you may want to avoid glass is that it traps moisture very well so fungal and bacterial growth may be a problem, and it warmer climates it may be hard to keep them cool enough. And for the bigger species they just usually don't have glass cages big enough to house them appropriately. But in some places with naturally dry weather and colder temps glass can actually work well to retain humidity and heat. Screen cages are much more popular in the US, whereas glass cages are more popular in areas of Europe.

Everything else was good advice though. :)

Actually that's just a myth. The reason you may want to avoid glass is that it traps moisture very well so fungal and bacterial growth may be a problem, and it warmer climates it may be hard to keep them cool enough. And for the bigger species they just usually don't have glass cages big enough to house them appropriately. But in some places with naturally dry weather and colder temps glass can actually work well to retain humidity and heat. Screen cages are much more popular in the US, whereas glass cages are more popular in areas of Europe.

i totally agree, glass can be used with great success, esspecially in places like thee UK and here in canada where they can make keeping temp and humidity up alot easier.
a large part of the reason people acctually dont use glass has to do with cost/weight think about how much and how heavy a 2x2x4 glass terrarium would be.
i have used glass tearriums with no problems.

jmo hoj

Back
Top Bottom