Hi, I’m New here!

Hydee

Hello,
My name is Hydee and I’m new to the forum. I’m very excited to be receiving one of Amos & Fiona’s baby boys soon, weather permitting (MN resident). I’ve been around animals all my life, but this is my first chameleon so I’m anxious but excited. I kept an iguana a few years back so I’m hoping that experience will have prepared me, somewhat.
I’m attaching some pictures so you can take a look at the very modest home I have set up for him. Its an 18x18x30 Reptibreeze enclosure, which was supposed to be a good size for a baby but he’s just turned 4 months old so might be a bit snug soon. I’m hoping to have a much larger space for him in a few months with some live plants and all the luxury he deserves. I keep my supplements and filtered water in the cabinet shown, but his live food will be kept somewhere else in the house because I don’t have room in there for them.
I want to believe that I’ve prepared myself but any advice/wisdom from experienced members is certainly welcome!
I will post pics and name when he finally arrives, which, hopefully, will be early next week!

Attachments

• F6D6D475-E5B7-4875-BF29-10F41DE85716.jpeg
    F6D6D475-E5B7-4875-BF29-10F41DE85716.jpeg
    263.6 KB · Views: 171
  • 864E3996-7557-46A6-8578-2CF53F251AAA.jpeg
    864E3996-7557-46A6-8578-2CF53F251AAA.jpeg
    286.2 KB · Views: 118
  • 699F5820-AD63-4FB7-98B0-B4F9CCDFE634.jpeg
    699F5820-AD63-4FB7-98B0-B4F9CCDFE634.jpeg
    167.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 445C1657-57DC-470E-A103-CCD6C513C6EA.jpeg
    445C1657-57DC-470E-A103-CCD6C513C6EA.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 94
  • 95DDC260-4B16-4AB5-BED1-F5A35542625D.jpeg
    95DDC260-4B16-4AB5-BED1-F5A35542625D.jpeg
    191.3 KB · Views: 107
  • 2BA65332-DA7C-4F23-B144-4DBB859BA3AE.jpeg
    2BA65332-DA7C-4F23-B144-4DBB859BA3AE.jpeg
    235.1 KB · Views: 103
  • 34E3CB0D-190F-4217-B739-082CE6A71B26.jpeg
    34E3CB0D-190F-4217-B739-082CE6A71B26.jpeg
    263.6 KB · Views: 98
looks like you have a nice setup, I'd just be monitoring the humidity/temp now, that way you know he'll be comfy when he moves in. only other thing I'd suggest is a uvb tube light. with those bulbs, only a small area is getting uvb so if hes hanging out in that back left corner of the first pic hes getting nothing. he'll still want a place to hide from the light, but more coverage you can get the better.

Hello,
My name is Hydee and I’m new to the forum. I’m very excited to be receiving one of Amos & Fiona’s baby boys soon, weather permitting (MN resident). I’ve been around animals all my life, but this is my first chameleon so I’m anxious but excited. I kept an iguana a few years back so I’m hoping that experience will have prepared me, somewhat.
I’m attaching some pictures so you can take a look at the very modest home I have set up for him. Its an 18x18x30 Reptibreeze enclosure, which was supposed to be a good size for a baby but he’s just turned 4 months old so might be a bit snug soon. I’m hoping to have a much larger space for him in a few months with some live plants and all the luxury he deserves. I keep my supplements and filtered water in the cabinet shown, but his live food will be kept somewhere else in the house because I don’t have room in there for them.
I want to believe that I’ve prepared myself but any advice/wisdom from experienced members is certainly welcome!
I will post pics and name when he finally arrives, which, hopefully, will be early next week!
Welcome @Hydee . So happy you have joined us . First baby boy so exciting !!. You have come to the right place . Their are so many amazing keepers here to help you . Can’t wait to see pics .

Set up is looking good . The only thing you may want to do is pull the light off the screen an inch or 2 . Your baby is likely to hang off the screen or climb as far up on the plants as possible . If you add lots of branches it may help Deter him from hanging off his ceiling :D .

It’s very nice to see you posting. Nice job on the enclosure! He will be outgrowing it very soon but it will make a great enclosure for vet visits and so forth. I definately agree to get the tube style UVB light. I recommend the Reptisun 5.0. Other than covering a small area, even thought the problem is suppose to be fixed, some of the experienced keepers have still had problems with these lights bothering their chameleons eyes. Also ditch those orange cubes.They are dangerous for chameleons. I’ve seen the cubes kill several chameleons on here. One of the vets here, his chameleon ate a Cricket that was holding on to a tiny piece of the orange cube. His chameleon kept getting sicker and sicker but he could not find out why until the autopsy. The cham injested the piece of orange cube with the cricket and the cube expanded in the cham and caused the death. That’s why it’s so important to read everything you can here. You can learn so much to help protect these precious little animals.

For gutload, I highly recommend Cricket Crack or Bug Buffet. I rotate between the two.You can purchase both here: https://www.fullthrottlefeeders.com/gutloads-and-supplies

It’s very nice to see you posting. Nice job on the enclosure! He will be outgrowing it very soon but it will make a great enclosure for vet visits and so forth. I definately agree to get the tube style UVB light. I recommend the Reptisun 5.0. Other than covering a small area, even thought the problem is suppose to be fixed, some of the experienced keepers have still had problems with these lights bothering their chameleons eyes. Also ditch those orange cubes.They are dangerous for chameleons. I’ve seen the cubes kill several chameleons on here. One of the vets here, his chameleon ate a Cricket that was holding on to a tiny piece of the orange cube. His chameleon kept getting sicker and sicker but he could not find out why until the autopsy. The cham injested the piece of orange cube with the cricket and the cube expanded in the cham and caused the death. That’s why it’s so important to read everything you can here. You can learn so much to help protect these precious little animals.

For gutload, I highly recommend Cricket Crack or Bug Buffet. I rotate between the two.You can purchase both here: https://www.fullthrottlefeeders.com/gutloads-and-supplies

I actually have the Reptisun bulb but couldn’t find a good way to secure it on the enclosure without being wobbly and easy to knock down so I tucked it away and bought the smaller one just to get by until I get the big enclosure set up.
I was gonna use up the gut-load stuff I have and switch over to the dry when it was gone but if there’s any risk then I’ll just trash it and make sure to have some of the good stuff here before next week.
I’ll be reading through the care sheets again to make sure I don’t miss anything else. Thanks for the tip.

Welcome @Hydee . So happy you have joined us . First baby boy so exciting !!. You have come to the right place . Their are so many amazing keepers here to help you . Can’t wait to see pics .

Set up is looking good . The only thing you may want to do is pull the light off the screen an inch or 2 . Your baby is likely to hang off the screen or climb as far up on the plants as possible . If you add lots of branches it may help Deter him from hanging off his ceiling :D .

Thanks! I will be sure to do that!

Welcome Hydee! I am a Minnesotan as well! Where is Olivia? I am up in Cloquet which is near Duluth.

I currently have panthers and graciliors but am getting two of Mann's babies after the 1st. Your set up looks pretty good but I would definitely get that linear bulb over it somehow. Other than that, maybe a few more horizontal sticks or vines. You already know you need to upgrade size so that's good. Feel free to ask questions anytime. Good luck.

Welcome to the forums! So I see you’re getting one of Jann’s babies. Trust me you won’t be disappointed. I have two of her baby girls. They are so healthy and awesome. If you need any advice on anything the forum is here to help. Have fun and enjoy.

I too have one of Jann's sweet boys. You're off to a good start with your enclosure but I would get rid of the green cloth at the bottom...it just harbours bacteria. As said above switch to a tube uvb...the other type is hard on young eyes and don't cover as well. Your arborcola plant looks perfect for the size cage you have and will help with humidity....use it. Replant it with organic soil and cover the soil with rocks too large to be swallowed...plant and rocks should be well washed too. When I got my 1st Cham I started with the green cloth too and had to remove it so we aren't picking on you...we've been there. You are lucky to get one of Amos and Fiona' s babies...they are excellent vields and Jann gives them the best care. One more thing...I went to the trouble of making my own gutload....but just recently bought the Repashy bug burger and my crickets devour it much faster. Welcome to the forum and don't be shy about asking questions. Share lots of pictures as those of us that have sibblings love to see them My boy is named Lil Louie.

I too have one of Jann's sweet boys. You're off to a good start with your enclosure but I would get rid of the green cloth at the bottom...it just harbours bacteria. As said above switch to a tube uvb...the other type is hard on young eyes and don't cover as well. Your arborcola plant looks perfect for the size cage you have and will help with humidity....use it. Replant it with organic soil and cover the soil with rocks too large to be swallowed...plant and rocks should be well washed too. When I got my 1st Cham I started with the green cloth too and had to remove it so we aren't picking on you...we've been there. You are lucky to get one of Amos and Fiona' s babies...they are excellent vields and Jann gives them the best care. One more thing...I went to the trouble of making my own gutload....but just recently bought the Repashy bug burger and my crickets devour it much faster. Welcome to the forum and don't be shy about asking questions. Share lots of pictures as those of us that have sibblings love to see them My boy is named Lil Louie.
For shame. I to had the green cloth. And it gets gross real fast. So is that bug burger that good? I hear lots of good stuff about it.I still make my own gutload. So with the bug burger do you still make your own gutload and feed them both?

Welcome Hydee! I am a Minnesotan as well! Where is Olivia? I am up in Cloquet which is near Duluth.

I currently have panthers and graciliors but am getting two of Mann's babies after the 1st. Your set up looks pretty good but I would definitely get that linear bulb over it somehow. Other than that, maybe a few more horizontal sticks or vines. You already know you need to upgrade size so that's good. Feel free to ask questions anytime. Good luck.
Hi!
Olivia is a small town about 30 miles south of Willmar. Most people know where that is, or about 100 miles west of Minneapolis.
Good to know I’m not the ‘sotan’ on the forum! ;)
I’m gonna see if my husband who is a machinist/welder can make some kind of fixture to suspense it over the cage from the wall or ceiling. I was thinking I could just get by with it for a little bit until we get the big cage ready, but I’m just gonna do it. Everyone had commented the same thing so I’m just gonna do it now.
Thanks!

looks like you have a nice setup, I'd just be monitoring the humidity/temp now, that way you know he'll be comfy when he moves in. only other thing I'd suggest is a uvb tube light. with those bulbs, only a small area is getting uvb so if hes hanging out in that back left corner of the first pic hes getting nothing. he'll still want a place to hide from the light, but more coverage you can get the better.
I’ve been running it more and more just to get used to it being on and to make sure it will hold temp/hum all day. I was having trouble at first but then I bought the repti-rain mister and now it holds pretty steady all day. The temp drops a few degrees whenever it sprays but comes back up within a short time. I currently have it spraying every 3 hours. I’m growing some plants to put in there so I think that will help once they are big enough to put in the enclosure. I was worried about the water works causing trouble with the electrical so I kept them seperqte, but Im gonna get my tune light hung up some how and then I won’t have to worry about it.

I think I have something I can us to put it up so he won’t burn his little feet. I’m gonna get my tube lamp up instead so hopefully he won’t have to use this little one for too long.

Hello,
Hello!
Welcome to the awesome, mind-blowing world of Chameleon Keeping! I never much cared about keeping a reptile, until I spotted my first Cham, and I was hooked.

Currently, I have a 2 1/2 yr old Panther, named "Pixel", and one of Jann's babies. He's a male, named "Wasabi."
I pretty much agree with all the advice given, but want to add one more thing.

I would spend as much time as you possibly can, with that little guy. My morning routine is to get up, water my chams, make my coffee, then drink it next to them while they have their breakfast. When you have a new baby, just sitting quietly next to them allows them to see your'e not going to hurt them and that you can be trusted. Plus, once they realize you're the source of their food....well, you become their favorite pretty quick!

I would also encourage you to offer your hand/finger for him to climb onto, as often as possible. Offer small worms on your palm.
Jann has hand-fed all her babies, so they're used to it.
When Wasabi first arrived, he was (understandably) nervous in his new surroundings. But the moment I had a bright, blue baby horn worm on my hand, food took priority over fear! LOL!

Even if I know I don't have a lot of time to spend with him, I will always try to hand feed just a few worms, so he stays used to my contact.

Small warning: Since you haven't kept Chams before, you should know that (being arboreal reptiles) they always try to get to the highest place first. So, if he walks onto your arm, chances are pretty good he'll make his way to the top of your head. Both my boys love to hang out on my head, and both always use an ear for a climbing aid. LOL! I just wanted you to know so you don't freak if he grabs onto your ear.

I frequently wear hoops, and Wasabi always uses them to climb. So excited for you! Have fun!

No worries. I don’t feel like any one is picking on me. :).
I appreciate the advice. I don’t want him to suffer from my ignorance so I love all the input from everyone. And it’s nice to know that people care enough to make suggestions.
I have a tray of coleus that I intend but they are still too small. I have a few of those rugs so i was hoping to swap them out every other day until the plants or the big cage is ready.

Hello!
Welcome to the awesome, mind-blowing world of Chameleon Keeping! I never much cared about keeping a reptile, until I spotted my first Cham, and I was hooked.

Currently, I have a 2 1/2 yr old Panther, named "Pixel", and one of Jann's babies. He's a male, named "Wasabi."
I pretty much agree with all the advice given, but want to add one more thing.

I would spend as much time as you possibly can, with that little guy. My morning routine is to get up, water my chams, make my coffee, then drink it next to them while they have their breakfast. When you have a new baby, just sitting quietly next to them allows them to see your'e not going to hurt them and that you can be trusted. Plus, once they realize you're the source of their food....well, you become their favorite pretty quick!

I would also encourage you to offer your hand/finger for him to climb onto, as often as possible. Offer small worms on your palm.
Jann has hand-fed all her babies, so they're used to it.
When Wasabi first arrived, he was (understandably) nervous in his new surroundings. But the moment I had a bright, blue baby horn worm on my hand, food took priority over fear! LOL!

Even if I know I don't have a lot of time to spend with him, I will always try to hand feed just a few worms, so he stays used to my contact.

Small warning: Since you haven't kept Chams before, you should know that (being arboreal reptiles) they always try to get to the highest place first. So, if he walks onto your arm, chances are pretty good he'll make his way to the top of your head. Both my boys love to hang out on my head, and both always use an ear for a climbing aid. LOL! I just wanted you to know so you don't freak if he grabs onto your ear.

I frequently wear hoops, and Wasabi always uses them to climb. So excited for you! Have fun!
I’m a graphic designer and work half my week from home. I have him set up in my office because that’s where I spend a lot of my time and it’s quiet in there. I had a Cockatiel as a kid who loved to sit on top of my head and play with my hair or nibble on my earrings. She spent more time on my shoulder than she ever did in her cage so ive got no issue with him climbing on me. I’d read that hand feeding is a good way to establish trust so I want to do that as well. I’m so excited but I don’t want to overwhelm him so it’s good to know that I can have the kind of relationship I’m hoping for with him!

For shame. I to had the green cloth. And it gets gross real fast. So is that bug burger that good? I hear lots of good stuff about it.I still make my own gutload. So with the bug burger do you still make your own gutload and feed them both?
I will toss in fresh veggies and fruit ocassionally...but will feed predominantly bug burger now that I see the results...no waste...they eat it all.

Just curious where did you get those little white cabinates if you happen to remember?
I got them at an estate sale. They came in a set of 3 and I painted them white. Perfect size for the small cage and I can set them side by side when I get the big cage.

Back
Top Bottom