Hi Everyone!!

Camsmom

I want to say Hi to everyone. I have been reading forums on this site for a few months now and finally decided to join. I want to give you some background on us before I start asking questions. My son for his 11th birthday started asking for a Veiled Chameleon. We told him he had to do research on them before we would buy him one. In July we went to PetSmart and bought Camo. The lady quized my kiddo and I was impressed that he was able to answer her. She told us she had two veiled chameleons. My son has used this forum a lot as we were setting up his cage as well as just gaining general information about chameleons.
I know I need to fill out the form that tells all about our chameleon and will do that today but I did have a question that I am thinking can be answered fairly easily. We live in North Georgia and the temps are starting to fall (finally). We have him inside (of course) but we heat with a wood stove. I bought him a night time heat lamp (red bulb) hoping that it would keep his home warmer than the room he is in. He is in the kitchen by the way. But according to the thermometer its not as warm as what I would hope. I know we cannot use heat rocks or things like that because it is not part of their natural habitat and they will not use it, so what is another way to help keep him warm?

A little more background on our guy. He LOVES to be held and comes to the front of his cage when we walk by. My son holds him every day, and Camo's cage is right next to where my boy does his homework. Often Camo will crawl up his arm and goes for my kiddos glasses only to end up on the top of his head. :) He also loves sitting on my husbands head while he is cooking. For some reason over the past week and a half he has started going for one of our labs. She get real still and Camo goes for her head. We do not allow this because the pup is only two years old and has way to much energy and we don't want Camo hurt. We also have two box turtles that have came in for the winter and he seems to want to ride on one of the turtles shells when he is allowed to cruise around the kitchen. We don't allow this either since I am not sure how it will go and well the pup LOVES playing ball with the turtle and we end up going back to I don't want Camo hurt.

Thank you all for your time and I look forward to hearing back from everyone. I have attached a few pictures for you to see him.

Attachments

• IMG_0830.JPEG
    IMG_0830.JPEG
    77.5 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_1925.jpg
    IMG_1925.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1956.jpg
    IMG_1956.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_1958.jpg
    IMG_1958.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 134
How cold is it at night? If it is above 60 degrees, he will be fine through the night.

However, I would recommend reposting this in general discussion so others can see this.

No so far its only been around 67-68 but I can tell he doesn't like it. LOL

Okay I will do that. Thank you for your help!

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on bringing Camo into your home. If he is in a screen enclosure, try covering 2-3 of the sides which will help to keep in the heat and the humidity

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on bringing Camo into your home. If he is in a screen enclosure, try covering 2-3 of the sides which will help to keep in the heat and the humidity

Thank you. What would you suggest we cover it with? Maybe a plastic wrap? I know they need "free flow" air movement and I do not want to cause any respiratory issues by blocking the flow. :)

As long as the front and top are open, you should be fine. People use plastic wrap, you can also use a thin foam or posterboard

Back
Top Bottom