Hey! New here :)

ApocalypseUK

Hey all I'm from the UK and absolutely loving this forum and so glad I came across it everyone has really good knowledge and is exactly what I need help with!
I wouldn't say I was exactly new to Reptiles I used to have 2 corn snakes that grew up perfectly well, well looked after even had perfect eggs with little snakies :p but I'm now very interested in a Chameleon and I believe you guys could help me! :)

I'm New to chameleons and am not interested in buying one till I have a relatively decent set-up for it as I don't want to buy one just for it to be in the wrong set-up and die :(
I've been doing a tone of research on chameleons and so far I'm seeing that Panther and Yemen chameleon would be the best to start out with which is good because I was interested in a Panther chameleon anyways :) ok so at the min I have:

45cm - 45cm by 65cm height Exo Terra cage
2 branches
3 fake hanging leafs/plants
and a dome lamp
with also a mealworm feeder
here's what it looks like :)
sorry about the picture quality my phones not the best but will upload a better picture soon!

got this in a whole set-up from someone and its in mint condition.

I have 2 chameleon knowledge/care books coming here soon and have also ordered some Exo terra Vines both large and small.

I now need Dripper, mister/fogger, spray bottle thermometer, hydrometer and the UVB bulbs and holder.

Here's where I think you guys can help me :)
1)
But my problem at the min I understand a lot of you may say that glass terrariums are bad but I brought this before I seen a lot of people saying they were bad and also read this http://www.chameleonnews.com/10JulAndersonGlass.html
but I'm thinking of keeping it for a while and then once my Chameleon grows up a little more then Ill have enough to buy a bigger sized mesh cage. But basically I'm trying to figure out a way of draining the water from this cage I just can't physically think of a way of doing it, except kitchen towers/paper towels at the bottom of the cage.

2)
I don't know why but I seem to have a crazy mental block with this but I'm thinking of getting a Reptisun 10.0 UVB but I can't think of the name of the holder that the bulbs sits in a little bit like aquariums fish-tanks have :p but I'm sure you know what I mean.

3)
I completely can't work out the calcium and vitamin powders/medicines they need every video or comment I see everyone use's something different and a different times compared to everyone else and I'm really confused :p

4)
The lighting I leave the lights on for say 10-12 hours a day and then at night do I turn both the UVB bulbs and the normal 50-60w bulbs off? or do I constantly leave 1 on?
obviously this would be for night time, just a little confused.

5)
when its nights out for the chameleon to get some sleep and his bulbs are off ready for bed will it disturb him much when for example I turn the bedroom light to say get changed ready for bed myself or even have the TV on?

and also 6)
If I'm looking into getting a smaller chameleon what are the best things for them to feed off at the start small crickets and mealworms?

I'm really sorry for so many questions guys and gals, But I want to make sure everything is perfect for when my little baby arrives because I want to make sure he has the up most perfect living area and grows up to be a healthy beast! :)

and Don't worry guys Im not a 1 hit wonder getting your knowledge then leaving, Ill be sticking around, trying to help others out if I can and when I finally get mine taking pictures and keeping you guys updated :)
Thanks guys and looking forward to hearing from all of you soon and seeing all your little reptiles and chameleons! :D

Being that you are living (I assume from your signature) in the UK the terrarium should be fine for most species of chameleon. There are pros and cons to both glass and screen cages.

For many years I have used reptisun 5.0 long linear tube lights for a source of UVB for my chameleons.

All the lights should be off at night.

If the lights or TV keep he chameleon awake you can always cover the cage with something to block the light.

The size of the insects needs to be appropriate to the size of the chameleon.

Regarding supplements...there are many to chose from and you will have to decide which ones you want to use...but here's some information that explains the reasoning behind their use.

Since most insects we use as feeders have a poor ratio of calcium to phos its important to dust the insects before feeding them to the chameleon with a phos - free calcium powder to make up for it.

I also dust twice a month with a phos - free calcium / D3 powder to ensure that the chameleon gets some D3 without overdosing it and leaving it to produce the rest from its exposure to the UVB.

I dust twice a month with a vitamin powder containing a beta carotene (prOformed) source of vitamin A which is converted as needed into vitamin A. Vitamin A from prEformed sources can build up in the system and lead to health issues so his way it leaves it up to you to decide whether or not to give it prEformed or not.

I add to supplementing its important to feed/gutload the insects well before feeding them to the chameleon.

Temperature is also important because it affects digestion and thus plays a part in nutrient absorption.

Hope this helps!

Being that you are living (I assume from your signature) in the UK the terrarium should be fine for most species of chameleon. There are pros and cons to both glass and screen cages.

For many years I have used reptisun 5.0 long linear tube lights for a source of UVB for my chameleons.

All the lights should be off at night.

If the lights or TV keep he chameleon awake you can always cover the cage with something to block the light.

The size of the insects needs to be appropriate to the size of the chameleon.

Regarding supplements...there are many to chose from and you will have to decide which ones you want to use...but here's some information that explains the reasoning behind their use.

Since most insects we use as feeders have a poor ratio of calcium to phos its important to dust the insects before feeding them to the chameleon with a phos - free calcium powder to make up for it.

I also dust twice a month with a phos - free calcium / D3 powder to ensure that the chameleon gets some D3 without overdosing it and leaving it to produce the rest from its exposure to the UVB.

I dust twice a month with a vitamin powder containing a beta carotene (prOformed) source of vitamin A which is converted as needed into vitamin A. Vitamin A from prEformed sources can build up in the system and lead to health issues so his way it leaves it up to you to decide whether or not to give it prEformed or not.

I add to supplementing its important to feed/gutload the insects well before feeding them to the chameleon.

Temperature is also important because it affects digestion and thus plays a part in nutrient absorption.

Hope this helps!

Thank you ever so much for your help and reply very much appreciated :)
ill take this information into account :)
any specific vitamin powders or its other supplements you recommened? like brand names? :)
thank you!

Hey there.

In the UK too, but currently without chameleons due to circumstance. Hopefully to be remedied in the near future.

I'm sure all of you questions have been answered many times before, so have a look around and a good read... you'll learn so much, I know I have!

Thank you all for your help, have sorted out my lighting now and am slowly progressing to becoming a full time dad for a baby chameleon lol

Back
Top Bottom