Hey guys, meet Charlie

tamarat92

So I've always wanted a chameleon and my husband finally got me one for my birthday :) We live in Serbia and chameleons aren't popular pets here so there aren't many placss where you can buy them but we finally found a breeder. I've read many posts on this website and have learnt a lot about taking care of Charlie. I'm still not sure we're doing everything right so I decided to post some pics and voice some of my concerns. First of all, the breeders made the cage for us and they said it has everything it needs. It has ventilation and as you can see, two different lights. Are they ok? Also, I've always been disgusted by bugs but have gotten used to feeding him roaches (which I feed carrots and apples) and silk worms ( which he seems to like better). Another thing is, he's terrified of us, every time we look at him he freezes or runs away, I've tried to put my hand out once but he didn't want to come so I didn't do it anymore. Will he ever want to be handled? I have so many questions but I'll stop here for now :D

Attachments

• 20190118_165720.jpg
    20190118_165720.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 102
  • 20190131_223820.jpg
    20190131_223820.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 119
  • 20190131_223807.jpg
    20190131_223807.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 108
  • 20190118_200726.jpg
    20190118_200726.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 165
  • 20190131_222833.jpg
    20190131_222833.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 137
Welcome to the forums! I can see a few thing that may need to be adjusted.
Please fill out the “how to ask for help” form and post your answers back here. Quality pictures will help us help you.

Chameleon Info:
◦Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
◦Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
◦Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
◦Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
◦Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
◦Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
◦History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
◦Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
◦Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
◦Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
◦Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
◦Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
◦Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
◦Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
1The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
2Photos can be very helpful.

veiled are known to be little grumps and in general chameleons are not pets that like to he handled, maybe eventually one day he will like you but highly doubtful, my advice is don't hold him unless he wants it

The one thing I would recomend is that since the lights are not outside of the enclosure, you want to make sure he cannot get to them and burn himself. It's so cool that you are in Serbia! I'm in the states and last year my family hosted an exchange student from Serbia. She had never seen a chameleon before but quickly grew to love Stark!

Chameleon Info:
◦Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
He's a veiled chameleon, male and the breeder said he was 3 months old or so. He has been in my care for 12 days.
◦Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
He's been handled only the first day he arrived and didn't seem to not like it but since that, he has never came close to me.
◦Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
We feed him silk worms and roaches that we got from the breeder. We make sure that he always has food in his little box, he seems to like the worms more but he eats roaches too. The first few days he used to eat around 12 insects per day but now he eats less, maybe 6 or 8 max. The roaches are fed with apples and carrots.
◦Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
We got a mix of vitamins and calcium for Charlie, I don't know the brand, the breeders gave it to us in a plastic container and we dust his food every 3 days or so with the supplements.
◦Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
We mist 3 or 4 times a day by hand for 2 minutes or so. I can see him drinking it.
◦Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
I don't know if he's ever been tested for parasites. His droppings are black with a hint of white. I think he's been pooping once a day, maybe once in 2 days, I don't see him doing it every time but I've seen it a few times.
◦History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
We live in Serbia and chameleons aren't popular pets, there aren't many places where you can buy things for him so we're limited in that sense.

Cage Info:
◦Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
I put pics of his cage up, there's screen on the sides, the doors are glass and the rest is wood.
◦Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Again, I'm not quite sure what brands they are, we got it all from the breeders who made the cage, hopefully you can get an idea from the pictures. We turn it all on (plug it in) when we wake up (around 8 am) and turn it off when we go to sleep (10 pm or so)
◦Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
We don't have anything to measure the temperature in his cage but it's warm in my apartment (maybe 25 degrees Celsius), I guess it's even a bit warmer in his cage because of the light at least during the day while it's on but never under 25 degrees Celsius.
◦Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Again, we don't measure humidity, we don't have anything to do that with and I'm sure that I won't be able to find it in my country even if I wanted to. He shed quite quickly (and successfully) so I guess they can't be very low
◦Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
No, only fake plants, the walls of the cage are made from real wood though, but the plants are fake.
◦Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
There aren't any fans, air vents and the traffic isn't loud here. The top of the cage is about a meter and a half from the floor.
◦Location - Where are you geographically located?
Novi Sad, Serbia.

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
He seems to be doing OK but considering the fact that resources are scarce here when it comes to chameleon care I just wanted to introduce ourselves and see if you can give me any tips on how to make him feel at home here.

--------------

The one thing I would recomend is that since the lights are not outside of the enclosure, you want to make sure he cannot get to them and burn himself. It's so cool that you are in Serbia! I'm in the states and last year my family hosted an exchange student from Serbia. She had never seen a chameleon before but quickly grew to love Stark!

Thanks for the tip about the lights, I didn't know that lights could be made to be outside his reach :unsure:
Cool! Yeah, then you can imagine how hard it is to take care of a chameleon here haha

Your Cham is at least 6 months old at least.

Chams are more of a hobby than a pet. Most, especially veilds, species just want to be left alone. Let him decide when and how often he gets handled. If he willingly comes to you when you open the door that would be a good time but other than that keep it to a minimum.

Feeders must be fed a gutload to stay healthy. Try cricket crack or Bug Burger.

Since you don’t know what your supplementing you need to ask your breeder or buy the right ones soon. She should be getting calcium dust without D3 at every feeding. Also should be dusting with calcium with D3 twice a month. She also needs a multivitamin twice a month.

[FONT=.SFUIText]Post a pic of his next poop.[/FONT]

[FONT=.SFUIText]The lights MUST be moved to he outside of the cage or install a screen around it so he can not touch it.[/FONT]

[FONT=.SFUIText]You MUST know exactly what lighting your running. It is the single most important part of Cham husbandry. Go look at your lights and see what they are.[/FONT]

[FONT=.SFUIText]Measuring temp/humidity is a must! You should install 2 thermometers and 2 hydrometers. [/FONT]

[FONT=.SFUIText]Veilds occasionally take a bit out of plants. He should have no fake plants, if he swallowes a piece he will become impacted and die.[/FONT]

Welcome to the forums here! I agree with everything brodybreaux25 mentioned. Everything he said is critical to success in keeping these chameleons. From my experience the female veileds are far more timid with some attitude than the males. However it’s really individual to the animal so make sure to be very careful and train your Cham to come to you by giving him treats. Just like the others I will say the first thing you should do is get those lights outside of the enclosure. If it’s possible there in Serbia to get ahold of a schefflera (umbrella plant) put that in there and get rid of the fake leaves. Veileds, like mine will terrorize the leaves daily, which is a good thing! If not there isn’t anything wrong with what you got. Basically make it all real or all fake.

There is a wealth of knowledge here on this forum. A lot of us have learned the hard way, others took the time to research before getting into keeping. It seems as though you, like most of us are in the first category! It just happens. Do yourself a huge favor by taking consideration to every piece of advice given here. It will save you money, (lots of money), time, effort, frustration, and most of all the health of your Cham by doing so. I speak from my own experience in saying that.

Welcome! And happy Cham keeping!

I would say he's around 7 or 8 months, his colors look like they're coming on strong.

buy stuff online and have it shipped, buying online can also be cheaper than going to a petstore

Yeah, I also thought he was older judging by the pics of other peoples chameleons that are 3-4 months old...
Thanks for the tips guys, I'll take them all into consideration of course, that's why I'm here after all :)

He doesn't nibble on the fake plants but I'll see if I can get an umbrella plant anywhere and put that in instead (I read on one of the pages here that fake plans were OK so I didn't think it was a problem). I'll contact the breeders to see what supplements I'm giving him exactly too. I also read the lighting page and seems as if we're doing that right coz we have both the bulbs they mentioned there but I'll find a way to get them out of his reach.

I've looked online and found some thermometers and hydrometers but they don't ship anything to Serbia... I'll get one of my friends who live outside of Serbia to order them then ship it to me.

Thanks for all the advice :)

Back
Top Bottom