Hey Everyone!

Mr Skeleptica

First time poster, but I've been here many times, (the wife is skeleptica, in case you hadn't guessed already). She started a thread a few days ago about our veiled cham Lola acting strange and getting a light blue color in her. We were told that she is ready to lay eggs even though she hasn't mated and so we have everything set up for her to do what she needs to do. Now we've been interested in looking into breeding, and obviously to do that you need a male to fertilize the eggs. But we've also been told that veil chams are particularily territorial and that you can't throw two adults in together if they don't know eachother/grew up together. So I guess the question is, can you have a male and female in separate cages and then just put them together for a period to 'mate', or would that end up in disaster? (We noticed that Lola has gotten much more friendly since the egg situation).

thats the way !

yeah,thats the way ! you should know when and if to introduce them for a bit .thats as far as my knowledge goes im afraid!
regards!

Chameleons do like to live by themselves, but will get together when that "urge" hits. This should be judged more by the female than the male. Hold the female outside the cage where she can see the male and the male can see her. If she continues to show reseptive colors and he shows bright colors as well, you can put them in together for a bit. Keep a watch out and make sure they don't start gapping or hissing.

If everyone is happy, you'll have a bond. If she isn't ready you should tell from her coloration and attitude. You shouldn't keep them together for too long.

Just remember, give her time to grow up first! I think the rule of thumb is about 1 year old before you try and it will give her a much better chance of surviving and having healthy eggs.

Back
Top Bottom