Hemipenes....

MJKowal

So this morning my boy was roaming around his cage and decided to flash his hemipenes but they haven't gone back in fully yet. This was approximately 6 hours ago, can anyone tell me what I can do to help him? Please see the attached picture of his current state.

Thank you in advance for all your help!!

Attachments

• IMG_0867.JPG
    IMG_0867.JPG
    217.9 KB · Views: 530
I would keep it moist, and if it don't go back in real soon you'll want to get him to a vet. I prolapse can be quite serious.

I heard something about a sugar water treatment helping... do you happen to know about this? How much sugar to water?

This is not my specialty, but that photo does not look anything like my chamy's hemipenes. There are 2 seperate little dark pink rods.That looks like it's only 1 of something. It also is in the middle and their hemipene

Attachments

• WP_20160102_003.jpg
    WP_20160102_003.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 266
This is not my specialty, but that photo does not look anything like my chamy's hemipenes. There are 2 seperate little dark pink rods.That looks like it's only 1 of something. It also is in the middle and their hemipene

I agree. That looks like a prolapsed rectum! Get him to the vet ASAP. The tissue can dry out and die. The vet may have to amputate if it's too late!

The sugar water treatment just reduces swelling. Though it can help. I would mix 3 tablespoons of sugar to a litre of warm water, though it doesn't really matter. But, you should still take him to the vet.

UPDATE:

Yesterday morning I got a hold of the local reptile vet to bring him in the be seen and they said they would squeeze me in when I got off work even though they were fully booked. When I got home everything was back in and he is back to his usual self. I am still monitoring his poops, but all looks good.

Thank you to everyone for their advice, it was very much appreciated!

Mine did that to me the other day too.... Everything was going as normal.... Walked away for 10 seconds and when I came back to the cage, everything was out. At first I freaked out because I had no idea what it was I was seeing. Thought maybe a prolapse or something.... But then it looked as if it had little lips/flaps on it... and I knew it was the hemipenes. I was freakin out, ready to soak him down and maybe call the vet till I realized what was going on and he pulled it back in like 3 minutes later.

Gotta love the panic attacks that chameleons can give you at a moment's notice. Lol.

what scared me was that after 6 hours it was still out like in the picture. So I kept it moist and it was still out a bit the next morning, but not as bad. I didnt want to risk anything so I called the vet and made an appointment only to call when I got home from work to cancel it as he was ok. The vet was very happy and told me to call if I had any other problems. This is the first time I have had to deal with this... and yes panic sunk in!

I dont know what I would do without these forums, they are an amazing help!

Mine did that to me the other day too.... Everything was going as normal.... Walked away for 10 seconds and when I came back to the cage, everything was out. At first I freaked out because I had no idea what it was I was seeing. Thought maybe a prolapse or something.... But then it looked as if it had little lips/flaps on it... and I knew it was the hemipenes. I was freakin out, ready to soak him down and maybe call the vet till I realized what was going on and he pulled it back in like 3 minutes later.

Gotta love the panic attacks that chameleons can give you at a moment's notice. Lol.
I know this is an older thread but this literally JUST happened with my guy! I too had a mini panic attack until I saw it go back in and he continued as if nothing just happened. I've seen his hemipene slightly come out while he poos but not the WHOLE thing. I came on here to find some answers and I'm glad I did lol *phew*

I know this is an older thread but this literally JUST happened with my guy! I too had a mini panic attack until I saw it go back in and he continued as if nothing just happened. I've seen his hemipene slightly come out while he poos but not the WHOLE thing. I came on here to find some answers and I'm glad I did lol *phew*

Scary the first time, isn't it.

Proper vegetables gutload will improve lots prolapse episode,since when they feel lots pressure in pooping,sort like a hemorrhoids in human.Sometimes hemorrhoids prolapse, or get bigger and bulge outside the anal sphincter. Then you may be able to see them as moist bumps that are pinker than the surrounding area. And they're more likely to hurt, often when you poop.
And the chameleon sex organ hemipenes happen to be in the same open spot versus human kind differences.

Prolapse can be associated with parasites. If you haven't had a fecal done in a year or more and this reoccurs I would consider taking a fecal into the vet for analysis.

hi all, so, this morning I sprayed my boy, Alfie's, vivarium, and he pushed out his hemipenes. So I shouldn't worry initially, but wait and see? They have gone back a bit. I was told if it didn't retract in a few minutes to soak him in sugar water. However he hates being handled and gets very distressed. so I've sprayed his bit with warm sugar water. and now waiting... The posted pic is after about 10 minutes. Initially it looked like some pulsating triffid.

Attachments

• hemipenes.JPG
    hemipenes.JPG
    292.2 KB · Views: 342
hi all, so, this morning I sprayed my boy, Alfie's, vivarium, and he pushed out his hemipenes. So I shouldn't worry initially, but wait and see? They have gone back a bit. I was told if it didn't retract in a few minutes to soak him in sugar water. However he hates being handled and gets very distressed. so I've sprayed his bit with warm sugar water. and now waiting... The posted pic is after about 10 minutes. Initially it looked like some pulsating triffid.
panic over, he put his bits away finally

I was told if it didn't retract in a few minutes to soak him in sugar water. However he hates being handled and gets very distressed. so I've sprayed his bit with warm sugar water.

If you don't mind me asking, but what is the scientific reason for adding sugar to treat this symptom?

Sugar has the ability to draw water out of cells and interstitial fluid out of tissues reducing swelling produced by inflammation etc. If you want the science look up osmosis. Honey will do the same thing but because unpasteurized honey can contain botulism spores you need to be sure to use pasteurized honey only never raw.

Back
Top Bottom