Help!!

Oh your just down the coast from me, so outdoor time would be the best scenario for your cham. Mine our housed outdoors for all but a couple months here in Florida (Usually Jan and Feb). No uvb bulb or heat source is gonna beat our great Florida sun!

Good luck with you cham!
Yes I live here in sebastian on the Indian river and its a great place to be so I'll be taking her out during the days and can get the basking light and heating stone for the cold months!

Yes I live here in sebastian on the Indian river and its a great place to be so I'll be taking her out during the days and can get the basking light and heating stone for the cold months!

Chameleons NEVER EVER need a heat stone. At night they need to be cool and dark to sleep. At least 10 degrees cooler than they were in the day time and even 65 at night is ok. When you get a chance read the Raising Kitty blog. It will give you some great info. Make sure to read the female veiled part, too.
http://raisingkittytheveiledchamele...-max=2008-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&max-results=11

This baby is only 3 months old. I have never used a basking light with Camille I got her when she was 5 months old. I keep her hottest temp at 80 to 81. I follow the Raising Kitty the female veiled. Here's the part about the temps and basking light:

I have double fluorescent hoods over the cages. (in my case over the trees since I free range) Each hood houses a tube/linear Repti-sun 5.0 and a regular white fluorescent tube light. This maintains the temperature in the low 80's at the warmest end of the cage. You can see the setup in my article in the e-zine: A Babies first weeks. The shelves can be moved forward more than is shown in the pictures in the article to allow for more of a gradient in temperatures and more air flow as well.
Most of what is in this article is still current but I have made a couple of changes.

I maintain the same lighting and temperature range when the females are moved to their adult cages. I do not use a basking light, but continue with a double fluorescent hood keeping temperatures in the low eighties. The cages are of various sizes, but the smallest is 24" tall x 24" wide x 18" deep.

Good point Jannb-it does depend on what your house temps are-A THERMOMETER IS A MUST! I have heat lamps on all of my cages because my ambient temps are 73-74, and I have single flourescents on all but 3 cages-so in order to get an 80 degree basking spot I have to use a heat lamp.

Well its monday and my little girl is still alive and eating so I really want to thank you for all the tips and now she has the right light and looking better so I pray she gets stronger and will let me take her pix so I can show you how beautiful she is!!!

Very glad to hear she is doing better. If you ever have any questions about anything feel free to ask!

Personally I would be afraid to buy from a bait shop. I don't even think that most pet shops are clean with theirs. Chams get parasites from what they eat.

Back
Top Bottom