Help

elielmo08

Hello everyone My name is Elliott I have a few question in regards to Chameleon. I have no expirience on Chameleons, i did build my own Terraruim is 5 feet high , 3 feet wide and 2 feet deep.... Now, here are my questions ?

Humidity? Temperature? Lighting? Plants ? I have no idea where to start ... Any books you guys recomend (I want to be very responsable with this reptile (Veild Chameleon) Thanks

Some things will vary slightly between species such as temperature and humidity.

You will want to well plant your cage. Here is a guide from these forums with the most comon plants we use: (and are readily available at stores such as Home depot or walmart
https://www.chameleonforums.com/plants/

You will want a basking light, a UVb linear tube (such as Reptisun 5.0) and perhaps a heat light (that does not put off light for night time when you will need to have darkness for your cham.)

I use 50w spot lamp bulb and 60w ceramic bulb, along with 24" reptisun 5.0 and a 2nd 24" tube (plant color regular florescent) for additional light, but it's probably colder here near the desert than in Tropical florida. You may want to put your lights on timers so you have one less thing to worry about.

Also, for humidity you will either need to hand mist several times a day or set up an automatic misting system such as the ones available form www.Herpmist.com or www.mistking.com. If you are hand misting you will probably want a dripper as well. You may need provide for drainage.

Food for thought:
Keeping a chameleon means keeping bugs. You will need apropriate sized insects for your cham.

The most popular feeders kept include:

Crickets
Dubia Roaches
Silkworms

and as a treat:

Hornworms
Superworms
butterworms
houseflys
fruit flys (for very young, small chams)
blue bottle flys
wax worms

in general the wider variety the better along with crickets or roaches as a staple

Hope that gets you started!

You are already smarter than me and several here who bought a lizard first and asked questions later ;) - you have it in the correct order (read/research then acquire). In two weeks on the fourms I've learned SOOO much just reading through old threads - there is invaluable information here - very experienced and friendly members who can help you and me through most anything.

Welcome!

Welcome Elliott, to the Forum!

The search feature on the top of the page can become your best freind when you have a specific question. You also can post questions (under the right topic), if you are still not sure.

By getting the right lighting, watering process, and healthy food sources, you will save a pack of money and frustration!

By the way, the fact you are in Florida already puts you at a huge advantage-you can have an outdoor enclosure most of the year.

CHEERS!!!:D

florida

Hello fellow floridian!! What part of Fl are you in? We live near Jacksonville, Daytona, Gainesville, area (St.Augustine) Welcome!! You will LOVE this place and if you take the advice given here, you will have a great time with your healthy happy cham!!;)

You are already smarter than me and several here who bought a lizard first and asked questions later ;) - you have it in the correct order (read/research then acquire). In two weeks on the fourms I've learned SOOO much just reading through old threads - there is invaluable information here - very experienced and friendly members who can help you and me through most anything.

Welcome!

You mean, waiting for Amanda to make a fool of herself so you could find out what you wanted to know, too..Make me take the fall, I see how it is. :)

Hello everyone My name is Elliott I have a few question in regards to Chameleon. I have no expirience on Chameleons, i did build my own Terraruim is 5 feet high , 3 feet wide and 2 feet deep.... Now, here are my questions ?

Humidity? Temperature? Lighting? Plants ? I have no idea where to start ... Any books you guys recomend (I want to be very responsable with this reptile (Veild Chameleon) Thanks

Are you getting one local and soon?

Back
Top Bottom