Help

krissybbz

Hi everyone. I would just like to know, my chameleon is so chilled, stays in his enclosure, eats and drinks water as per normal. But lately he's being trying to escape. I found him behind the tv lol or laying on the table. This also happens when no one is home and we leave the enclose open just bit incase he wants to move around, I let him explore but just wanting to know if it's normal? Or are we missing something? Thanks

I’m going to say it’s completely normal. As he was not that long ago free to roam wherever he wanted, the idea of being contained in a small area is foreign to him. If you have any other animals like cats or dogs, you will need to keep him in his enclosure to keep him safe. If no cats or dogs (or other potential predators), you may want to think about instead of keeping him confined inside an enclosure, set up a free range area for him to live in. @Sonny13 keeps some of his chameleons in beautiful free range areas and can perhaps give you some ideas.

Could you post a picture of the enclosure? I always love to give them freedom and non of my are `enclosed` they neither live free range (check my signature for the link) or got an enclosure with no doors in it. If your room is cham safe (no other animals or unwatchful kids) I would take the door out completely and give him branch to access and exit the enclosure safe and easily. This way they figure out how to leave and go back again for sleeping/basking/eating and drinking. They´re curious and will explore everything in the beginning and sometimes we need to interfere and put them in their enclosure. But by time they´ll stop with this and know their enclosure is the best place to stay. Except when mating season starts, then every room is too small for them!!

THERE´S ONE IMPORTANT NOTE TO THIS, YOU NEED TO STAY VIGILANT WHEN OPENING DOORS AND WALKING AROUND, BECAUSE THEY´LL SOMETHING BE IN FRONT OF YOUR FEET. HAD ALREADY MANY ALMOST HEART ATTACKS BECAUSE OF THIS.

If more questions arise just let me know.

Back
Top Bottom