Help!

Hazy93!!

Hello there! I have a vail chameleon named
freddy who is currently having some issues. I had him for two months now and he is about 8 months old. I notice he hasn’t been eating, I been doing a lot of research, I have tried adding more bugs to his cup and I have tried tong feeding and nothing seems to be working.now he has had maybe a handful of bugs since I had him but I do feel like he should be eating more, and although they are shy eaters I do leave a feeding cup in there and I noticed none of the bugs have been eaten. Then today I notice one of eye would not open and he started rubbing it against the leave and then he seems okay but clearly something must be wrong or am I just worried for nothing? When he rubs his eye he can keep his eye open but it seems to get small again and he will rub his eye again. I do have a misting system in the back (system with run for 30 sec every hour) and I have a t5 uvb light, grow light, and heat light. I have tried feeding him dubia roaches, super worms, horn worms, and crickets when I 1st got him. I would great appreciate any feed back in order to get this little guy what he needs.

Attachments

• 397CAB7B-9DA0-4E0C-9350-BCBD35A344BA.jpeg
    397CAB7B-9DA0-4E0C-9350-BCBD35A344BA.jpeg
    143 KB · Views: 70
  • 7B34E2C7-329A-48D2-8498-3C9B664011DA.jpeg
    7B34E2C7-329A-48D2-8498-3C9B664011DA.jpeg
    217 KB · Views: 70
Hi there welcome to the forum. If you can fill this form out with detail we can provide much more assistance. Just copy the form below and paste it into your reply then fill it out. Take pics of your supplements as well. Give details on insect size etc.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

I'm sorry to say, but I would take him to a good chameleon vet.

In your other thread...the insect container says small...at 8 months of age he should be getting medium at least...close to large. We need more information...what supplements do you dust with and how often for each? Particularly we look for vitamin D3 preformed vitamin A, phos, calcium. What do you feed to the insects?

Your misting system needs to run longer at each misting to encourage drinking and less frequently to give the cage time to dry out in between.

Answering the questions in the husbandry form may give us more. Lies to,what's going on too.

Its best to make only one thread for one issue for one chameleon so we can follow things easier.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Veiled male about 8 months old. I’ve had it for about 2 months.
  • I don’t handle him at all yet
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Dubia roaches mostly and occasional horned worms. He doesn’t eat nearly as much as I think he should. I offer them multiple times per day but he rarely eats them in my presence. I gut-load with mustard greens and mangoes.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • I alternate dusting with zoo med repti calcium and altovitox bee pollen powder before offering to the chameleon
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • I use the repti zoo solo starter missing system. It is set to go off for 30 seconds once per hour. We have seen him drink occasionally.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • Mostly white with a little orange and brown. Normal consistency somewhere in the middle I would say. Never been tested for parasites.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
  • N/A

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Screen cage with plastic liners on side and back loosely attached. Dimensions are 16x16x30 inches
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Reptizoo 24w T5 5.0 UVB with heat light and grow lights from the same brand. Schedule 12 on/12 off
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • We use a temperature gauge and Tempe stay at roughly 74-79 degrees during the day at night it will drop to 70-72
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • We use a humidity reader and the humidity stays at 47% to 50% however if the misters have just gone off humidity level will increase to 55%-57% but not very long. Not only do we use a mister but the cage is covered with a clear shower liner.
  • I use a variety of Patho plants
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Our cage is located near the entranceway of our home however it is not a high traffic area due to the fact we don’t have much company over. No vent or fans close to it. The cage is sitting on a 2 foot stand and the height of the cage from the floor is 54”
  • Houston Texas

Currently my Chamaeleon has not been eating correctly also one of his eyes looked stuck shut however he re-opened it by rubbing his eyes against a leaf.

Thanks for helping

Ok see my feedback and questions in red. :)

Chameleon Info:

• Veiled male about 8 months old. I’ve had it for about 2 months. Can you take some more pics of the cham for me please. I also would like to see the back of the back feet.
  • I don’t handle him at all yet
  • Dubia roaches mostly and occasional horned worms. He doesn’t eat nearly as much as I think he should. I offer them multiple times per day but he rarely eats them in my presence. I gut-load with mustard greens and mangoes. Has the eating issue been going on since you got the cham? Have you tried offering other feeders like crickets? What size feeders are you using? You will want to expand your gutload as well. See image below.
  • I alternate dusting with zoo med repti calcium and altovitox bee pollen powder before offering to the chameleon. Please take a picture of both of these so I can see exactly which ones you are using.
  • I use the repti zoo solo starter missing system. It is set to go off for 30 seconds once per hour. We have seen him drink occasionally. So 30 seconds is not long enough to stimulate a drinking response or to clean the eyes out. What other settings do you have as options on this one? You can add a dripper by using a solo plastic cup with tiny pin holes in the bottom add ice cubes for a slow drip. Sit on top of screen over the plant leaves.
  • Mostly white with a little orange and brown. Normal consistency somewhere in the middle I would say. Never been tested for parasites. Always a good idea to get a fecal tested to ensure there is not a parasite issue.
  • N/A
Cage Info:
  • Screen cage with plastic liners on side and back loosely attached. Dimensions are 16x16x30 inches. You will need to upgrade to a 2x2x4ft cage. This one is too small.
  • Reptizoo 24w T5 5.0 UVB with heat light and grow lights from the same brand. Schedule 12 on/12 off With a T5HO fixture and 5.0 bulb you want a measured distance of 8-9 inches from the bottom of the fixture to the closest branch below it. This will put them in the correct UVI level.
  • We use a temperature gauge and Tempe stay at roughly 74-79 degrees during the day at night it will drop to 70-72. Make sure you have a temp gauge with probe at the branch below the heat fixture. Just to confirm proper temps. Night time you want a lower temp drop down to 65 if possible.
  • We use a humidity reader and the humidity stays at 47% to 50% however if the misters have just gone off humidity level will increase to 55%-57% but not very long. Not only do we use a mister but the cage is covered with a clear shower liner. This is fine. Veileds are ok with humidity down to 40% as well.
  • I use a variety of Patho plants
  • Our cage is located near the entranceway of our home however it is not a high traffic area due to the fact we don’t have much company over. No vent or fans close to it. The cage is sitting on a 2 foot stand and the height of the cage from the floor is 54”
  • Houston Texas
Currently my Chamaeleon has not been eating correctly also one of his eyes looked stuck shut however he re-opened it by rubbing his eyes against a leaf.

Thanks for helping

chameleon-gutload.jpg
chameleon-food(1).jpg

Thank you so much for your help! I’m actually working on getting a cage built for him but I have to say it is a bit of a process. I will start as soon as possible to make the necessary changes.

Attachments

• A2EBE344-5694-4D8C-8FF3-47C046CEEBB7.jpeg
    A2EBE344-5694-4D8C-8FF3-47C046CEEBB7.jpeg
    200 KB · Views: 62
  • BFC260F8-D309-48EE-B99F-A7E1121A6C15.jpeg
    BFC260F8-D309-48EE-B99F-A7E1121A6C15.jpeg
    205.4 KB · Views: 58
I'm sorry to say, but I would take him to a good chameleon vet.

In your other thread...the insect container says small...at 8 months of age he should be getting medium at least...close to large. We need more information...what supplements do you dust with and how often for each? Particularly we look for vitamin D3 preformed vitamin A, phos, calcium. What do you feed to the insects?

Your misting system needs to run longer at each misting to encourage drinking and less frequently to give the cage time to dry out in between.

Answering the questions in the husbandry form may give us more. Lies to,what's going on too.

Its best to make only one thread for one issue for one chameleon so we can follow things easier.
Thank you for your help I am trying my best to learn how to use the website however the last thread I had I wasn’t getting too much help to top it off something new came up with his eye but if there is a way I can delete the other thread I am all ears.

I am working on taking him to a vet just because I am getting pretty worried but his eye seems to be doing better but would still like to be cautious.

You said..."if there is a way I can delete the other thread I am all ears".... Just tag a staff member and they will combine the threads or delete it for you. Do you know how to tag someone?

Thank you so much for your help! I’m actually working on getting a cage built for him but I have to say it is a bit of a process. I will start as soon as possible to make the necessary changes.
So the supplements are wrong. The calcium with D3 should only be given 2 times a month rotating with a multi vitamin without D3 like Reptivite without D3. So that each are given only 2 times rotating week to week at one feeding. Then you have to have a calcium without D3 for all other feedings. I would add the bee pollen to the gutload instead. Too much ingested directly by the cham can cause issues such as edema.
With only doing calcium with D3 he is being overdosed and has a toxicity level now. Could be why he is not eating. I would not use this one for the next 4 weeks and let his tissues clear out the excess.

IF you can get some pics like this with the foot on a branch it would be easier to determine gender. I do not think you have a male from what I have seen. These pics are of a tarsal spur on a 8 month old male veiled.

Attachments

• Tarsal spur1.jpg
    Tarsal spur1.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 52
  • tarsal Spur2.jpg
    tarsal Spur2.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Supplements seem to be the most confusing thing.
You just have to pair the correct ones and ensure your using them in the correct rotation/times per month. If you ever have questions just post a thread. But yes there are many many supplements. Used in the wrong way and they can cause major issues.

Hello there! I have a vail chameleon named
freddy who is currently having some issues. I had him for two months now and he is about 8 months old. I notice he hasn’t been eating, I been doing a lot of research, I have tried adding more bugs to his cup and I have tried tong feeding and nothing seems to be working.now he has had maybe a handful of bugs since I had him but I do feel like he should be eating more, and although they are shy eaters I do leave a feeding cup in there and I noticed none of the bugs have been eaten. Then today I notice one of eye would not open and he started rubbing it against the leave and then he seems okay but clearly something must be wrong or am I just worried for nothing? When he rubs his eye he can keep his eye open but it seems to get small again and he will rub his eye again. I do have a misting system in the back (system with run for 30 sec every hour) and I have a t5 uvb light, grow light, and heat light. I have tried feeding him dubia roaches, super worms, horn worms, and crickets when I 1st got him. I would great appreciate any feed back in order to get this little guy what he needs.
Definitely go to an exotic vet asap. Mine was doing something very similar and ended up having a URI.

You said..."if there is a way I can delete the other thread I am all ears".... Just tag a staff member and they will combine the threads or delete it for you. Do you know how to tag someone?
Thank you 🙏🏼 Yes I know how to tag however how do I know who’s a staff? Will it say under there name?

So the supplements are wrong. The calcium with D3 should only be given 2 times a month rotating with a multi vitamin without D3 like Reptivite without D3. So that each are given only 2 times rotating week to week at one feeding. Then you have to have a calcium without D3 for all other feedings. I would add the bee pollen to the gutload instead. Too much ingested directly by the cham can cause issues such as edema.
With only doing calcium with D3 he is being overdosed and has a toxicity level now. Could be why he is not eating. I would not use this one for the next 4 weeks and let his tissues clear out the excess.

IF you can get some pics like this with the foot on a branch it would be easier to determine gender. I do not think you have a male from what I have seen. These pics are of a tarsal spur on a 8 month old male veiled.

Attachments

• B8379520-7DF1-46AA-9990-A028BC30ED94.jpeg
    B8379520-7DF1-46AA-9990-A028BC30ED94.jpeg
    140.8 KB · Views: 56
Looks like it is a very underweight male. Go back through the feedback I gave you and start making changes.

Add longer misting sessions to see if he is able to clean his eye. Look for a reptile vet. I would get him in to see a vet with cham experience.

Looking into this feeder run. It can work better than a cup for some chams. https://tkchameleons.com/collections/accessories/products/shooting-gallery

Need to get him eating but with the overdosing on calcium with D3 you will have to try other ways like the new feeder run to see if it stimulates him to eat. Make sure feeder size is appropriate.

Yesterday I noticed my cham closing one eye alot. Today he started his first shed. I'm hoping this was what was wrong with his eye.

Attachments

• 20221126_163445.jpg
    20221126_163445.jpg
    395.1 KB · Views: 37
Also it seems our chams are close to the same age. Reggie will only eat crickets that's it and only like 3 a day even though he has alot to choose from dubias meal warms black fly larvae. He has been checked for parasites and is neg. He must be doing ok since he is finally shedding.

Back
Top Bottom