HELP

Well, can you post a pic of your enclosure?
It's being shipped from petco today it arrives around noon though... but it's a 24x24x48 with a screen front and i bought live plants for inside, i have a hiding place for shedding, and wax worms and crickets, i have a heat lamp above it. its on a secluded desk

It's being shipped from petco today it arrives around noon though... but it's a 24x24x48 with a screen front and i bought live plants for inside, i have a hiding place for shedding, and wax worms and crickets, i have a heat lamp above it. its on a secluded desk
Hi and congrats! :) Sounds like you’ve got a good start with correct size enclosure and no fake plants. So now I’m going to ask you lots of questions.
Do you have a uvb light? If so, what kind?
What supplements will you be using and on what schedule?
How will you be providing water?
What are your temperatures and humidity levels?
Can you post a pic of your enclosure?
I can’t speak for everyone, but I and many others love helping new chameleon keepers get everything just right for their sweet scaly babies.

Hi and congrats! :) Sounds like you’ve got a good start with correct size enclosure and no fake plants. So now I’m going to ask you lots of questions.
Do you have a uvb light? If so, what kind?
What supplements will you be using and on what schedule?
How will you be providing water?
What are your temperatures and humidity levels?
Can you post a pic of your enclosure?
I can’t speak for everyone, but I and many others love helping new chameleon keepers get everything just right for their sweet scaly babies.
I will have a uvb light, i will be sprinkling calcium supplement on her food once daily and her multivitamin 1-2 times a week
I heard you need to mist them a few times a day and i do have a dripper
80F and 70F
50-65% humidity
I dont have the enclosure until later today sorry

I will have a uvb light, i will be sprinkling calcium supplement on her food once daily and her multivitamin 1-2 times a week
I heard you need to mist them a few times a day and i do have a dripper
80F and 70F
50-65% humidity
I dont have the enclosure until later today sorry
The best and most effective uvb is a T5 fixture with either a 5.0 or 6% strength bulb. T8 fixtures don’t provide as large a range. Coil bulbs only provide adequate levels 2” away from them and other screw in bulbs like mercury vapor you really need a solarmeter to make sure uvb levels are correct. Something like this is what you need. https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/arcadia-prot5-uvb-kit.html
For supplements, you’ll use a phosphorus free calcium lightly dusted at every feeding. There are numerous ways to supplement, but one of the easiest is to use Reptivite with D3 at one feeding every other week. It is a multivitamin and D3 combination and includes preformed vitamin A for eye health.
Yes, you should be misting her enclosure for at least 2 minutes, 2-3 times a day. Usually early in the morning and later evening. If using a dripper, that would take the place of a mid day misting.
Temps are perfect!
Ideal humidity is between 30-50% during the day, so keep an eye that it doesn’t get any higher.
You’ll want to set up your enclosure so that it’s similar to a tree or forest edge. You’ll have your basking area about 8-9” below your lights and then below that have lots of branches or vines for travel and lots of live plants to hide in and take shade. For ease of cleaning and hygiene, keeping the floor bare is best.
A great place to learn not just what to do, but why it’s done is https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-basics/ Neptune the chameleon on YouTube is also a great source. Of course, the forum is always best for more personalized feedback and sharing the joys, questions and concerns of our chameleons. Very glad to have you here! 😊

The best and most effective uvb is a T5 fixture with either a 5.0 or 6% strength bulb. T8 fixtures don’t provide as large a range. Coil bulbs only provide adequate levels 2” away from them and other screw in bulbs like mercury vapor you really need a solarmeter to make sure uvb levels are correct. Something like this is what you need. https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/arcadia-prot5-uvb-kit.html
For supplements, you’ll use a phosphorus free calcium lightly dusted at every feeding. There are numerous ways to supplement, but one of the easiest is to use Reptivite with D3 at one feeding every other week. It is a multivitamin and D3 combination and includes preformed vitamin A for eye health.
Yes, you should be misting her enclosure for at least 2 minutes, 2-3 times a day. Usually early in the morning and later evening. If using a dripper, that would take the place of a mid day misting.
Temps are perfect!
Ideal humidity is between 30-50% during the day, so keep an eye that it doesn’t get any higher.
You’ll want to set up your enclosure so that it’s similar to a tree or forest edge. You’ll have your basking area about 8-9” below your lights and then below that have lots of branches or vines for travel and lots of live plants to hide in and take shade. For ease of cleaning and hygiene, keeping the floor bare is best.
A great place to learn not just what to do, but why it’s done is https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-basics/ Neptune the chameleon on YouTube is also a great source. Of course, the forum is always best for more personalized feedback and sharing the joys, questions and concerns of our chameleons. Very glad to have you here! 😊
Okay I will be sure to get a T5 fixture uvb and a solar meter thanks lol
for the supplements that is exactly what i got but i wasnt really sure how much to give it to my cham so thanks
Thank you so much I did need advice on her encolsure setup
any advice on what food to give?

I would hold off on buying the chameleon until you have the enclosure totally set up and know the proper husbandry. This will cause a ton of stress since you do not have the enclosure up and running correctly.

Start reading through all of this husbandry program.
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
yes i have the enclosure coming in today and im setting it up as soon as i get it and i will make sure to take everyones advice for temps humidity and lighting and the setup... i wont be getting my chameleon until around 5 today and im expecting the enclosure in around 30 minutes :D

10000000000% agree with @Beman that enclosure needs to be properly setup beforehand and trust me, it takes a lot of time! Like, a lot of time, as in, days, weeks, or months (Edit). There are always chameleons available these days, so please heed the advice to take the time to set up properly. It will be a MUCH more enjoyable experience for you & future cham.

10000000000% agree with @Beman that enclosure needs to be properly setup beforehand and trust me, it takes a lot of time! Like, a lot of time, as in, days, weeks, or months (Edit). There are always chameleons available these days, so please heed the advice to take the time to set up properly. It will be a MUCH more enjoyable experience for you & future cham.
Okay thank you i never thought it would take so long omg uhm okay i have her in holding right now and i am supposed to pick her up today but i guess i could ask if they could hold her for a bit longer

I was also wondering how I am going to get the crickets in her enclosure without them jumping everywhere
This is a great feeding station and hard for bugs to escape from. https://tkchameleons.com/products/shooting-gallery
I use an old (washed of course) yogurt container or tall deli cup to shake the crickets or other feeders into, dust with supplements and then tongs to move into feeder.
These may help you too. Chams like variety same as us. Taking good care of your bugs so that they are healthy means they are more nutritious.
7417ADEE-9495-415B-A630-9A9144FD5808.jpeg
FD2A1A44-1396-4601-BBCF-2DAAD69D90EB.jpeg

This is a great feeding station and hard for bugs to escape from. https://tkchameleons.com/products/shooting-gallery
I use an old (washed of course) yogurt container or tall deli cup to shake the crickets or other feeders into, dust with supplements and then tongs to move into feeder.
These may help you too. Chams like variety same as us. Taking good care of your bugs so that they are healthy means they are more nutritious.
View attachment 297508View attachment 297509
okay I also heard you need to keep silkworms in the crisper or door of my fridge... is that true if i'm not trying to raise them?

yes i have the enclosure coming in today and im setting it up as soon as i get it and i will make sure to take everyones advice for temps humidity and lighting and the setup... i wont be getting my chameleon until around 5 today and im expecting the enclosure in around 30 minutes :D
Right but it takes at least a few days to ensure the enclosure temps and humidity levels... If you only have a cage and a heat lamp then your not providing everything that is required.

You need to buy everything first. And set up everything. Then once it is all set up and running with the correct temps and humidity and your not having to make more changes then your ready to add the chameleon.

Also females lay infertile eggs like a chicken so you have to know what you have to provide that way as well.

I really think your setting yourself up for issues since your a brand new keeper. These are not easy animals to care for. Rushing in is stressful on all involved, trust me.

Right but it takes at least a few days to ensure the enclosure temps and humidity levels... If you only have a cage and a heat lamp then your not providing everything that is required.

You need to buy everything first. And set up everything. Then once it is all set up and running with the correct temps and humidity and your not having to make more changes then your ready to add the chameleon.

Also females lay infertile eggs like a chicken so you have to know what you have to provide that way as well.

I really think your setting yourself up for issues since your a brand new keeper. These are not easy animals to care for. Rushing in is stressful on all involved, trust me.
I do have everything i need for her and i will wait on picking her up so that i can get everything perfect i did here that about females and i have looked into it and done quite a lot of research on everything needed and i do have SOME experience with chameleons i help my friend care for hers and she is here to help me set it up as well

okay I also heard you need to keep silkworms in the crisper or door of my fridge... is that true if i'm not trying to raise them?
Only silkworm eggs can be kept in the fridge and that’s to give them a cool diapause between them being laced and hatching. Silkies are best kept at room temp with good ventilation and plenty of fresh chow. Since you only have the one cham, I would order only about a dozen or so small silkies to start.
Rule of thumb for all feeders is they must be smaller than the space between the eyes.

okay well i did order 50 in case some arrived dead but somehow they decided to ship me 500 sooooo i'm kind of grossed out and also hoping they dont die but i dont know

Back
Top Bottom