Help?

KamaKamaChameleon!

Avid Member
So basically when I order bugs online it takes like 3-5 days to get here and the only thing I have for food for my lizards is mealworms in the meanwhile which I know probably aren't good for them. We do have a pet store nearby but we can't go as often because y'know? Any suggestions?

So basically when I order bugs online it takes like 3-5 days to get here and the only thing I have for food for my lizards is mealworms in the meanwhile which I know probably aren't good for them. We do have a pet store nearby but we can't go as often because y'know? Any suggestions?
if you have an adult cham 1 or 2 days should be fine or you can go outside and catch insects like a little kid :cool:

if a fly or bee flies in to your open house then you can feed that

if you have an adult cham 1 or 2 days should be fine or you can go outside and catch insects like a little kid :cool:

if a fly or bee flies in to your open house then you can feed that
It is not a good idea to catch and feed wild bugs. You have no idea of knowing if they’ve been exposed to any pesticides or lawn treatments.

Have you thought about starting a roach colony? You’ll never be without feeders again.

It is not a good idea to catch and feed wild bugs. You have no idea of knowing if they’ve been exposed to any pesticides or lawn treatments.
I'm actually somebody who recommends wild caught feeders ( i think @AmandaS is too)

Of course if you or one of your neighbors uses pesticides or lawn treatments then no i should have made that more clear

I'm actually somebody who recommends wild caught feeders ( i think @AmandaS is too)

Of course if you or one of your neighbors uses pesticides or lawn treatments then no i should have made that more clear
If you live somewhere where you can be 110% sure that the wild bugs haven’t been exposed, or go to a wild area that would never be treated, then it would be ok. However, I’d personally still be wary. Some of the southern states do mosquito control spraying.

I feed off wild bugs. I figure, if theyre alive then the pesticides must not be too bad since it didnt kill a tiny insect...or also, perhaps they havent gotten in contact with any practices...or also, perhaps I have no idea where it comes from ( ? ) but my chameleons eat moths and dragonflies and such from outside all the time. ?‍♀️
Their favorite is when bees come and drink from my water hyacinth and we catch those and feed them off.

I feed off wild bugs. I figure, if theyre alive then the pesticides must not be too bad since it didnt kill a tiny insect...or also, perhaps they havent gotten in contact with any practices...or also, perhaps I have no idea where it comes from ( ? ) but my chameleons eat moths and dragonflies and such from outside all the time. ?‍♀️
Their favorite is when bees come and drink from my water hyacinth and we catch those and feed them off.

This is exactly the point. Many keepers have outside enclosures, they must eat wild insects, right.

The thing with pesticides is they are designed to kill fast. What good is it if the insect dies after all the crops have been eaten ? This is a decision that would vary with location, but if you were concerned you could quarantine the insects for 24 hours then just feed the live ones.

I feed yard insects and I have little worries, though this could easily change even from yard to yard depending on neighbors use of pesticides.

I share this view as well. Half my chams diet in the summer is insects that wonder into his enclosure lol.

Have you thought about starting a roach colony? You’ll never be without feeders again.
Oh I haven't thought of that! Might attempt to do that

Hmmm we don't have many big bugs over here but I can try? we don't really have musquitoes either so hopefully there isn't pesticides in the fields xd

I think the simple solution is to place your order prior to running out of feeders... ordering them when your out is obvious that you will now be waiting for shipping... also mealworms should never be fed. They are extremely low in nutritional value and higher in chitin making them harder to digest.

I think the simple solution is to place your order prior to running out of feeders... ordering them when your out is obvious that you will now be waiting for shipping... also mealworms should never be fed. They are extremely low in nutritional value and higher in chitin making them harder to digest.
Cant believe I didnt think of that xd probbally will do that

50C83156-C921-4A5E-AD9B-14ADCFB459CD.jpeg

Just go outside and catch an anole and feed it to em. Should last a couple days lol
You do realize that this is not advised.... IF AND WHEN it is done (feeding a small pinky mouse) it is not a reason to do because your out of food. Chameleons react differently to animal protein. This in itself can cause its own issues. Suggesting this to others without giving proper advice is a poor choice IMO.

Back
Top Bottom