Help!

Tatumspruce

So I just bought this Cham off the side of the road to try and give it a better life because I felt bad. I don’t know anything about it like it’s sex, age, or type! It’s also been this gray color since I got it and won’t change. If anyone here would help me found out more about it so I can better care for it it would help a lot! Don’t mind the cage, it came in it and I’m getting a real one later today! Also it does eat and is very active if that helps!

Attachments

• 7B2FD84F-6F0A-4FAA-B372-696835FE1480.jpeg
    7B2FD84F-6F0A-4FAA-B372-696835FE1480.jpeg
    157.5 KB · Views: 209
Welcome to the forum.

If you read this before you get the enclosure, get a 2'x2'x4' one so you won't have to buy another one. Also will needs lots of branches and foliage for the Cham to hide in.

Looks like a female panther.

I'd very quickly get a new enclosure set up for her and make a vet appointment. To be honest -- you'll need to drop some fat cash today. Where are you located? I can try to help you find a reputable vet with cham experience. This is what I would do if I were you:

Enclosure: https://www.petmountain.com/product...JkPgwR7Dw1oRkF6kBe62T9nilXAu0ECRoCO2gQAvD_BwE

Lights: linear t5ho or t8 5.0 uvb bulb https://www.healthypets.com/rep50uv...H2lzLaQdGiFANY3pz3ddewRIQ288GRZxoCz6QQAvD_BwE

You will need a hood for the bulb -- that is easier to find.

Throw as many sticks horizontally and plants as you can get. You can wire them to the sides of the enclosure with jewelry wire or zip ties. If you can get those supplies today and get her in there. Fake plants work fine temporarily as long as she has places to hide.

Get yourself acquainted with the resource section of this forum.

Welcome! Just curious if you're in the US? If so, I know of the feral Jacksons in FL and HI but Panthers?

Eyes are closed which can be a sign of a health issue or stress... Agreed you need cage adjustments asap. Please ask here because if you are not familiar with their care it is very easy to be mislead into buying all the wrong stuff at the pet store. I would find a reptile vet as well you will need to take in a fecal sample and the cham if eyes continue to remain closed when lights are on.

So I just bought this Cham off the side of the road to try and give it a better life because I felt bad. I don’t know anything about it like it’s sex, age, or type! It’s also been this gray color since I got it and won’t change. If anyone here would help me found out more about it so I can better care for it it would help a lot! Don’t mind the cage, it came in it and I’m getting a real one later today! Also it does eat and is very active if that helps!
Welcome to the Forum, Where the members are great, and the info they provide is even greater!
is that an Indian Chameleon? (Chamaeleo zeylanicus)
first thing would be making him feel safe, in order to do that, he needs cover, some live plants should be good.
Does he stays dark even in full sun?

Welcome to the Forum, Where the members are great, and the info they provide is even greater!
is that an Indian Chameleon? (Chamaeleo zeylanicus)
first thing would be making him feel safe, in order to do that, he needs cover, some live plants should be good.
Does he stays dark even in full sun?
Yes I live in AZ so it’s hot, I put him on my window screen to get some heat (this was before I just got a proper cage & light today) and he’s always gray with black spots.

Eyes are closed which can be a sign of a health issue or stress... Agreed you need cage adjustments asap. Please ask here because if you are not familiar with their care it is very easy to be mislead into buying all the wrong stuff at the pet store. I would find a reptile vet as well you will need to take in a fecal sample and the cham if eyes continue to remain closed when lights are on.
I took this while he was sleeping, I just turned the lights on to go to the bathroom. Durning the day he’s very active & does eat. I just got him an 18x18x30 mesh cage!

You'll need supplements and to learn how to look after/feed/gutload insects too.

I dust the insects lightly just before feeding them to the chameleon with a phos free calcium powder at almost every feeding...I dust them twice a month lightly with a phos free calcium/D3 powder and twice a month with a vitamin powder with a beta carotene (prOformed) source of vitamin A. Some chameleons may need a prEformed source of vitamin A once in a while too. That's up to you to decide.

Calcium is important in bones and muscle contractions and other systems but most insects lack enough of it. To use the calcium the chameleon needs vitamin D3 which it can produce (without overdosing as long as it can in and out of the rays) from exposure to the sun or a UVB light. The light from either source should not pass through glass or plastic. D3 from supplements can build up in the system and lead to health issues which is why we use it so seldom. Vitamin A from prEformed sources can build up in the system too...but prOformed sources won't build up. Calcium, phos, D3 and vitamin A all need to be in balance.

I gutload crickets, locusts, super worms, roaches with a wide assortment of greens (dandelions, collards, endive, escarole, kale, etc.) and veggies (carrots, sweet peppers, sweet potato, squash, zucchini, etc) and a little bit of fruit (Apple, pear, berries, etc.).

Please be aware that females of many species of chameleons can lay eggs without having been mated so you need a laying bin in the cage for them.

I hope this helps.

It looks like a female flap neck chameleon (dilepis). Hard to tell by the pictures. Screened cage. Foliage. Branches and dripping water for it to drink.

It looks like a female flap neck chameleon (dilepis). Hard to tell by the pictures. Screened cage. Foliage. Branches and dripping water for it to drink.
Appears to be a Senegal Chameleon
Definitely not a flapneck. Flapnecks are more rare and costly. People take care of rare and costly. Senegal are cheaper than veiled in most places and cases. Going as cheap as $30
It think Senegal is a possibility. One of the reasons I said possible dilepis is because they are an inexpensive $35 to $50 dollar lizard when available. Better pictures would help to identify.

Back
Top Bottom