HELP??

meicce.dg

so, I have a veiled chameleon named walter. about a week ago he got a lot of water in his lungs due to him sitting right in front of his mister. for a while he would take deep breaths, tilt his head up, and he wouldn't open his eyes and was very unbalanced. now, I got all the water out of his lungs and he just will not open his eyes. it's been like a week and I can't get him to eat. he's been getting what looks like eye boogers too. I dont know what's wrong with him, please help.

My Chameleon - veiled chameleon, male, and 3 years old to my knowledge. He has been in my care since sep 18th 2017

Handling - I handle him a couple times a week. he is very, very friendly and easy going.

Feeding - I feed walter meal worms and crickets until he stops eating. I usually feed him every other day. I always buy them pre gut loaded or i gut load them myself?

Supplements - I always dust all of his food with calcium powder.

Watering - I have a mister which sprays at his leaves for 20 seconds every hour.

Fecal Description - regular brown stools and white yellowish drops.

History - his previous owners were abusive, he has the top part of his veil burnt off and has vision problems. when I got him he was close to death, dehydrated, starving you name it. but I hydrated him and fattened him up a bit and haven't had any issues until now.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - I have a generic screen cage. 18 x 18 x 36 I believe

Lighting - I believe I have zoomed lights. 100 watt baking bulb and a uvb light

Temperature - his basking spot is around 95° farenheit and the rest of the cage is around 80° farenheit. at night it gets in the low 70°s

Humidity - I use a humidity gauge, the levels are always around 60

Plants - no real plants unfortunately.

Placement - my cage is lifted about 5 feet from the ground on a table. its not by any vents or windows.

Location - Spokane, Washington

Attachments

• IMG_20190607_202407.jpg
    IMG_20190607_202407.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
I'm trying to get an appointment but until then I'm unsure what to do. he was showing signs of an lri but the only thing that's wrong now is he wont open his eyes and I dont know how to help ease him until I can get him to the vet.

he put his mouth in front of the mister and got water going down the wrong pipe, I can only assume because that's his only way to get water. I walked into the room to see him in front of it and thought nothing of it until I realized something was wrong.

he may have a URI if he's wheezing, the eye problem may be separate from that. or it could just be an infection... really any type. if I were you I would take him to the vet. I can tell you now that eye problems are usually the source of a vitamin problem or an infection of the body

maybe we can help you locate the source of the problem, please fill out this form in complete detail so we can get a better idea of how he got to this stage

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

thank you. he hasn't been wheezing, after the incident he took deep breaths around 5 times but since then he hasnt made any sounds. I hope the vet can see us soon.

if he's starting to feel unsteady then set up a hospital bin for now, the last thing you want is for him to fall from a great height when he isn't feeling well. I think the best thing is to give him access to food, running water and heat for now but he needs a vet asap. please fill out the form so we can help in the best way possible.

oh I'm not frustrated at all! I'm so sorry if it seems like that I'm just scared. I'm only 15 and I love walter to death. hes my first reptile.
don't worry, I'm only 16, I feel your pain, sometimes text can be interpreted incorrectly, everything is ok! my name is Kat btw and if it helps at all my boy just went through something scary too so we're both on the same boat.

Your Chameleon - veiled chameleon, male, and 3 years old to my knowledge. He has been in my care since sep 18th 2017

Handling - I handle him a couple times a week. he is very, very friendly and easy going.

Feeding - I feed walter meal worms and crickets until he stops eating. I usually feed him every other day. I always buy them pre gut loaded or i gut load them myself? stop the mealworms immediately they cause impaction. cricket crack and repashy bug burger are both good gut loads with some fresh fruit or veggies.

Supplements - I always dust all of his food with calcium powder. what kind, brand. d3 or no d3? multivitamin?

Watering - I have a mister which sprays at his leaves for 20 seconds every hour.you should be misting at least 2 mins each time 3 times a day with 5 min sessions weekly, that's what I do

Fecal Description - regular brown stools and white yellowish drops.

History - his previous owners were abusive, he has the top part of his veil burnt off and has vision problems. when I got him he was close to death, dehydrated, starving you name it. but I hydrated him and fattened him up a bit and haven't had any issues until now.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - I have a generic screen cage. 18 x 18 x 36 I believe the minimum for adult veiled should be 2x2x4

Lighting - I believe I have zoomed lights. 100 watt baking bulb and a uvb light linear uvb or compact uvb?

Temperature - his basking spot is around 95° farenheit and the rest of the cage is around 80° farenheit. at night it gets in the low 70°s basking should be at the 90's to 85's, raise the lights

Humidity - I use a humidity gauge, the levels are always around 60

Plants - no real plants unfortunately. I suggest getting a dracaena or pothos

Placement - my cage is lifted about 5 feet from the ground on a table. its not by any vents or windows.

Location - Spokane, Washington

please see my edits in red

I will definitely keep those things in mind and change some stuff. I am unsure of the brand but I believe it has D3 in it. I'm working on getting him a new cage and I have a compact UVB bulb.

Back
Top Bottom