HELP!

Anna1883

Hi guys, I have a veiled chameleon he's still young not sure how many months but as of today I noticed that while he ( his name is Yoda) was resting on his branch one of his legs was just hanging which I found weird I gave it like half an hour and checked on him again and he was in the same spot doing the same thing. I decided to add a few crickets and see if he moved which he did but slower than usual. Once he finished them he lay on the ground which was super weird and he struggled to climb up he hasn't even made it to the top yet I think he gave up :( I have a feeling he broke his leg im super worried. It's a holiday today therefore all the vets are closed today and on top of that its snowing so much so I can't drive very far to get him help. I do recall seeing him kind of almost fall yesterday. I always watch and make sure that he drinks water and I also add a few crickets around 5-6 pm as he was trying to catch one of the crickets he missed and nearly fell off so maybe it could've been that. I didn't notice he was like this until around 3:00 pm which is when I get out of work.

If you could fill out this by copy and pasting it that would be great too.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, not sure of the gender I asked and the person didn't know, I feel like he's 4-5 months. I've had him in my care since the first days of October so around 3 months.
  • Handling - I rarely handle him! Only when I absolutely have to for example to clean his cage... I'm not sure if I should handle him right now he is struggling to climb to the basking spot should I help him ? He seems stressed so I do. not want to stress him out more what should I do?
  • Feeding - I have only been feeding him medium crickets I tried worms but he doesn't pay much attention to them. 6-8 a day ? My feeding schedule is a bit strange Monday through Friday I leave like 3 crickets around 7 am and then 4-5 around 3 pm and weekends I work around 5 am so I feed him when I get out which is 3-4 pm and then again at 6 pm ? I gut load them with carrots, potatoes, and mostly veggies.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - I mist his enclosure 3 times a day.7 am, 3-4 pm, and 6-7pm I mist until the enclosure has enough water for him to notice for a good amount of time and I always go back and mist a little more. I ALWAYS make sure I see him drink water at least once a day matter of fact I took a video of him drinking yesterday not sure how to post it on here though.
  • Fecal Description - Never been tested for parasites but his poop looks normal it has the brown part and white part.
  • History - I did buy him off of petco which I know isn't recommended thought that was useful information tho
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - my cage is all screen its 16" 30"
  • Lighting - I do not use a light at night but I do make sure my room is never below 70 degrees I will edit the type go light it is in a bit
  • Temperature - basking spot is at least 85 degrees and lowest is 70 degrees at the bottom
  • Humidity - Humidity thermometer is what I utilize I TRY TO KEEP IT AT THE MODERATE side
  • Plants - NO LIVE PLANTS.
  • Placement - I had a desk for his cage but right now he's on the floor I ordered a new desk and my parents got rid of the one I have
  • Location - I live in Colorado

Current Problem Yodas leg seems to be hurt he struggles to climb as of this morning I will for sure take him to the vet in the morning but I am still very concerned and wanted advise I will also be uploading the pictures in a few minutes Im having technical difficulties

Last edited:
E6FE4DDD-BF8C-4CCB-AD91-E2A1A86702FE.jpeg
this is the size I got him as

This is him right now hes close to the bottom which he doesn’t do often especially not there that’s not one of his fav spots
9815FC21-533A-4A3D-B4B8-DA5A5278B6A8.jpeg

By the looks of the photo your cham is a she. You can tell if there are Spurs on the back feet it would be a male but the colors look female. Can you please post a picture of the back of the feet? Also something to help gauge the size. This would help tell the age.

She also may be going to the bottom to find a spot to lay eggs if it is in fact a female.

You skipped the section about supplements in the sheet so please help to fill in how often and with what you are dusting the crickets.

The back right leg looks a little wavy and may be a sign of MBD. It could be the angle of the photo or the way it's sitting.

@Brodybreaux25 calling you in brother! You are the best at telling early signs of sickness.

By the looks of the photo your cham is a she. You can tell if there are Spurs on the back feet it would be a male but the colors look female. Can you please post a picture of the back of the feet? Also something to help gauge the size. This would help tell the age.

She also may be going to the bottom to find a spot to lay eggs if it is in fact a female.

You skipped the section about supplements in the sheet so please help to fill in how often and with what you are dusting the crickets.

The back right leg looks a little wavy and may be a sign of MBD. It could be the angle of the photo or the way it's sitting.

@Brodybreaux25 calling you in brother! You are the best at telling early signs of sickness.
IMG_7920.JPG

for the supplements I use the calcium without the D3 every other feeding and the one with D3 once a month and those are the only supplements I use
The vet opens at 8 am im taking her/him in as soon as they open but what should I bring her in ???

It definatly looks like a female and likely ready to lay. She will need a vet and a lay box ASAP.

Supplements should be calcium without d3 every feeding, with d3 once every 2 weeks and multivitamin once every 2 weeks opposite of the d3 week.

Thank you so much for that I struggled with the vitamins so many people have diff responses to how often they should be given so that has always been a point of confusion for me. Can you explain the lay box a little more I am for sure taking her to the vet in the morning. I tried going after work but they were closed also what do I take her in? Is it normal for her to be weak she's really struggling and her colors aren't very normal as of right now. Just yesterday she was active and fine she was eating and drinking. Is there anything else I can do to help her ?

Depends how far along she is or if the MBD is a possibility. I have not felt with that yet but @Brodybreaux25 or @jannb would be able to advise.

As for the lay box:

Thank you very much I will need to get her to the vet first but this was all very informative. Are there any other changes I should make to better care for my chameleon?

Did you post an update about your lighting? Uvb is incredibly important to chams to begin with, and since it looks like you’re going to be rehabbing a female with mbd it’s going to become even more important. Lighting is also part of why you will see different successful supplement schedules. (Plus there is just plain bad info out there). IMO you absolutely need linear uvb lighting. Wether it is T8 vs t5 ho will determine your d3 supplementation.

100% female

100% MBD from incorrect supplement schedule but mostly due to improper lighting but can’t tell for sure till you give us that lighting update. The suggested schedule Josh gave you is our reccomended schedule.

The way she is doing the splits with her back legs is a classic sign of egg binding.

You only have a couple days to get her to the vet or she’s toast. I know you said she’d go this morning, do you have a vet in mind?

100% female

100% MBD from incorrect supplement schedule but mostly due to improper lighting but can’t tell for sure till you give us that lighting update. The suggested schedule Josh gave you is our reccomended schedule.

The way she is doing the splits with her back legs is a classic sign of egg binding.

You only have a couple days to get her to the vet or she’s toast. I know you said she’d go this morning, do you have a vet in mind?
Hi guys she’s on her way to the vet right now I only have one exotic pet vet in my area so that’s the one she’s going to

Back
Top Bottom