Help

I try 123

ok so I used to be able to handle my juvenile Cham but now any time I move my hand near her she snaps around and tries to but me and hisses. I can hand feed her crickets and worms but I can’t hold her lol . They say your supposed to start holding them when they’re you and she is young so how can I start when she won’t lwt me . It’s a veiled chame 24 by 24 by 48

Whoever told you what to expect from a veiled chameleon in terms of handling could use an update on chameleon personalities :confused:

While it is true that some chameleons can be acclimated to humans early on, this is not always the case. Chameleons are well-known to be aggressive, antisocial, and all around grumpy animals - especially veiled chameleons. Usually, when they get older they get more aggressive and difficult to interact with during their "teenage years," so what you're experiencing is totally normal.

She won't let you hold her because, by nature, she considers you a threat. Make sure not to force her out when she is giving you signs that she doesn't want to be touched. You're at the stage where you need to earn her trust, which can be a very difficult thing to do, which may take a very long time. Chameleons are not animals that should be held often. They are very prone to stress and usually just want to be left alone.

In the meantime, it's great that she'll eat from your hands! I would recommend that you keep doing that, as it will make her associate you with food. You can also try leaving her enclosure door open (while you are in the room and supervising). That can help them get used to you being in their space, and they will oftentimes climb out of their enclosure on their own if you do this

Whoever told you what to expect from a veiled chameleon in terms of handling could use an update on chameleon personalities :confused:

While it is true that some chameleons can be acclimated to humans early on, this is not always the case. Chameleons are well-known to be aggressive, antisocial, and all around grumpy animals - especially veiled chameleons. Usually, when they get older they get more aggressive and difficult to interact with during their "teenage years," so what you're experiencing is totally normal.

She won't let you hold her because, by nature, she considers you a threat. Make sure not to force her out when she is giving you signs that she doesn't want to be touched. You're at the stage where you need to earn her trust, which can be a very difficult thing to do, which may take a very long time. Chameleons are not animals that should be held often. They are very prone to stress and usually just want to be left alone.

In the meantime, it's great that she'll eat from your hands! I would recommend that you keep doing that, as it will make her associate you with food. You can also try leaving her enclosure door open (while you are in the room and supervising). That can help them get used to you being in their space, and they will oftentimes climb out of their enclosure on their own if you do this
Thx

Back
Top Bottom