HELP?!

KeopiCat

Avid Member
Mondo is taking a shower and all of a sudden what looked to be a red poop started hanging out of his bottom. It's not going back in. Is this safe? Are these his genitals? Please answer asap, I'm scared!

IMG_9486.JPG

Looks like a prolapse. Though I am not sure which type. He most likely will need to be seen by a vet though since it has just happened, you may be able to get it in yourself. There is a home remedy... Though I can't find it for the life of me at the moment. So I will address what I can. The tissue that is exposed needs to be kept moist with something like KY jelly so it doesn't get necrotic and cause bigger issues. Just apply two to three times a day, I think that is usually enough, though someone else may have a more definite answer. As for why it happened, what are you feeding him? Has he had a large meal recently?

Good, if he stools right before it's actually really normal for that to happen. I am not sure if it's normal when they are just comfortable or not, I wouldn't worry too much if it went in on his own, but like Link said just keep an eye on it.

You can also use real honey, not the cheap stuff from the grocery store. Apply it to the prolapse and it will reduce swelling and help prevent infection. The reduction in swelling may even help it go back in
Would something like Manuka honey be beneficial?

Good, if he stools right before it's actually really normal for that to happen. I am not sure if it's normal when they are just comfortable or not, I wouldn't worry too much if it went in on his own, but like Link said just keep an eye on it.

The thing is, I looked in his plant he was on and I can't find any stools

That doesn't look like a chameleon hemi to me. You shouldn't worry about it if it went back in soon after but it is something you should keep a close eye on. Make sure there is no swelling and he's pooping normally. From a lizard prolapse page, "If the tissue is quite swollen, sometimes sugar, which is hygroscopic and draws fluid out of the tissue, will be applied to the prolapse to make it smaller to be replaced more easily." This is for a leopard gecko but i believe it could apply or at least be helpful.
http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Reptile-Health/Ask-A-Vet/Lizard-Prolapse/

Back
Top Bottom