help

martinlemus

is this a good humidifier to buy ? or what do y'all use ?!

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    972.3 KB · Views: 152
I have one like that but I made a few changes. I ran the flexible tube up the side of my enclosure, attached a pvc elbow then a straight piece of pvc with a cap on the open end. Once I had the correct size I painted it black to coordinate with my enclosure. I drilled 1/8" holes across the pvc pipe about every inch and a half. I fastened the pipe across the top of my cage with the holes facing down but partially forward.
This way with a screen enclosure the mist covers more space. I set it with a timer 3 times a day for tem minutes. Fiona likes to stand oh her hind legs to take a shower. I hope you can see her in the attached photo.

Attachments

• IMG_20160514_133710.jpg
    IMG_20160514_133710.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 133
I have one like that but I made a few changes. I ran the flexible tube up the side of my enclosure, attached a pvc elbow then a straight piece of pvc with a cap on the open end. Once I had the correct size I painted it black to coordinate with my enclosure. I drilled 1/8" holes across the pvc pipe about every inch and a half. I fastened the pipe across the top of my cage with the holes facing down but partially forward.
This way with a screen enclosure the mist covers more space. I set it with a timer 3 times a day for tem minutes. Fiona likes to stand oh her hind legs to take a shower. I hope you can see her in the attached photo.
Nice build! Can I ask how close your basking spot is? It looks way to close. Her casque or body could be getting thermal burns. In this picture, it looks like the bulbs are only an inch or two away. They should be about 8 inches away to avoid burns.

The branch is 6" from top of enclosure and the light is 1/2" from screen top. When she basks she usually is laying lower than the photo and off to the right hand side. She was standing upright enjoying the mist in the photo. She usually is never directly under the light but close enough to soak up some heat.

is this a good humidifier to buy ? or what do y'all use ?!
If you have hard water, you gotta clean those out every couple of weeks. They get this grey hunky stuff...if you don't have hard water everything is fine. I live in CO. Our water is full of minerals

Got you. Well I still suggest moving it to 8 inches if possible. Her casque and body are closer than 6 inches and she could eventually get burnt as she grows. Does she have a laying bin?

If you have hard water, you gotta clean those out every couple of weeks. They get this grey hunky stuff...if you don't have hard water everything is fine. I live in CO. Our water is full of minerals
I use distilled in fogger and I also did not glue the tube to the elbow or cap so it can be cleaned easily so all is good.

Got you. Well I still suggest moving it to 8 inches if possible. Her casque and body are closer than 6 inches and she could eventually get burnt as she grows. Does she have a laying bin?
Yes she has a laying bin with white clean play sand. I will take your advice on the the distance of her highest perch and lower it today. Don't want her getting burnt if it can be prevented. I use a 60W household bulb for heat...is that ok? She also has a UVB that is 10.

Yes she has a laying bin with white clean play sand. I will take your advice on the the distance of her highest perch and lower it today. Don't want her getting burnt if it can be prevented. I use a 60W household bulb for heat...is that ok? She also has a UVB that is 10.
Glad to hear that! Is the play sand moist? Sure. A 60 watt is just fine as long as her basking spot is at proper temps. A female veiled should have a basking spot of 83-85. 85 to strive for. Keeping them at lower temps help to keep the size of their cluthes smaller. Do you have a way of measuring basking temps?

Still need to get serving to measure temps. but after I moved her branch she climbs up a plant to be closer to light. Her sand is kept moist and she eats good and poo looks great. Yesterday I took her outside to climb on a large pot of Bougainville and Jasmin on a trellis. She loved it. Since I live in Florida I waited until the sun wasn't too hot.

Still need to get serving to measure temps. but after I moved her branch she climbs up a plant to be closer to light. Her sand is kept moist and she eats good and poo looks great. Yesterday I took her outside to climb on a large pot of Bougainville and Jasmin on a trellis. She loved it. Since I live in Florida I waited until the sun wasn't too hot.
Hate spell check....was supposed to say " I still need to get something to measure temps."

That why I make a basking spot 85. Then trim down the plants so they'll use their basking spot and don't have the option to climb closer. A heat temp gun from a hardware or automotive store works best. They'll have a laser guide and you can easily check the top,middle, and bottom portion of the cage in a minute.

That why I make a basking spot 85. Then trim down the plants so they'll use their basking spot and don't have the option to climb closer. A heat temp gun from a hardware or automotive store works best. They'll have a laser guide and you can easily check the top,middle, and bottom portion of the cage in a minute.
Thank you... I will look into one of those...makes great sense. Sounds more efficient too. (y)

85 with a temp gun on her branch is not 85 for her. Its actually much higher. A temp gun reads the temperature of a solid object (the branch). so while the branch is 85, if she is on it she is getting a higher temperature as she is closer to the light.

The best way to accurately measure the temp of a basking spot is a digital thermometer with the probe at the basking spot at the same height she will be. So if she is 2 inches tall, the probe should be 2 inches higher then the branch.

85 with a temp gun on her branch is not 85 for her. Its actually much higher. A temp gun reads the temperature of a solid object (the branch). so while the branch is 85, if she is on it she is getting a higher temperature as she is closer to the light.

The best way to accurately measure the temp of a basking spot is a digital thermometer with the probe at the basking spot at the same height she will be. So if she is 2 inches tall, the probe should be 2 inches higher then the branch.
If I shoot it at an artificial plant at the same height as Fiona will that work? I already ordered one.

If I shoot it at an artificial plant at the same height as Fiona will that work? I already ordered one.

It would, the issue is, she will go to on to the artificial plant lol. Then she will once again be higher than the measured item.

I have brought this up before this is why I do not like temp guns lol. My best advice would be to temp gun it, and then realize it will be slightly a higher temp, by how much IDK. You could get an idea by raising the light, if the light is 8 inches away makes the branch 85, then at 6 inches its 90 then you know it is a 5f difference and remember that when you check the temps.

Or just go slightly lower, so if make the temp gun read 80, and that should be around 85.

Honestly I just dont like temp guns. They get suggested everywhere, everyone says best thing you can buy. I completely disagree, the best thing you can buy is the 3/4 digital thermometers that are always giving a reading and you can monitor in a second. Also you can place them where you actually need the temperature.

There downside, for 4 good thermometers will cost you 50-80 dollars, where as a temp gun is 20-30. That is if you have 1 cage, as those multiply so do the money spent on thermometers and battery's (unless you get DC powered ones).

Personally I pefer the PC ones, that are powered by DC, hooked to a phone charger. With the LED display that lights up and is easy to read. I would much rather be able to walk into a room and check the temps in all spots in all cages in an instant than fiddle with temp guns and guessing games.

It would, the issue is, she will go to on to the artificial plant lol. Then she will once again be higher than the measured item.

I have brought this up before this is why I do not like temp guns lol. My best advice would be to temp gun it, and then realize it will be slightly a higher temp, by how much IDK. You could get an idea by raising the light, if the light is 8 inches away makes the branch 85, then at 6 inches its 90 then you know it is a 5f difference and remember that when you check the temps.

Or just go slightly lower, so if make the temp gun read 80, and that should be around 85.

Honestly I just dont like temp guns. They get suggested everywhere, everyone says best thing you can buy. I completely disagree, the best thing you can buy is the 3/4 digital thermometers that are always giving a reading and you can monitor in a second. Also you can place them where you actually need the temperature.

There downside, for 4 good thermometers will cost you 50-80 dollars, where as a temp gun is 20-30. That is if you have 1 cage, as those multiply so do the money spent on thermometers and battery's (unless you get DC powered ones).

Personally I pefer the PC ones, that are powered by DC, hooked to a phone charger. With the LED display that lights up and is easy to read. I would much rather be able to walk into a room and check the temps in all spots in all cages in an instant than fiddle with temp guns and guessing games.
I figure I will check the temp several times a day on the artificial plant, make sure she has correct basking temp. then move the artificial plant which I am eliminating as soon as my live pothos gets a little more size to it. I just have one Chameleon (so far...don't tell hubby) so I think I can get by for now. She has already figured out what time breakfast is and is patiently waiting every morning.

Yes I know this. That's fine. Probes are a waste of money IMO. They aren't as accurate as the gun, they have to be all over your cage(ruins the natural appeal), you then have to buy 4 you said? With a temp gun, you can simply point and read. You shouldn't have to check each temp daily really. Just when the weather outside is changing frequently or dramatically. I've had consistent temps of 71 at the bottom and 85 basking for a week now on a cage for example. They allow you to see if you're creating a gradient below the basking site much easier. Also with the gun, you can search all over the branch and find a "hotspot". Have you tried a gun? Next time you do, wave it real slow over the branch. You might find a consistent temp of 83, and then find a real small spot of 85 on a certain spot. I do it this way. It's more accurate. With the probe you're reading the air temps, with a gun you're reading surface temps. I like this method and prefer it.

There are no guessing games. They're just as or more accurate than a probe is. Unless you tried one, you can't knock it.

Back
Top Bottom