help!

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - 2 month old veiled chameleon, bought him since he was 2 weeks old
Handling -every few days for sunbathing
Feeding - i feed him lobster roaches and mealworms, sometimes he eats every day and sometimes every other day.
Supplements - jbl microcalcium every feeding, exo terra multivitamin and calcium with d3 once every 2 weeks
Watering - i use a dripper and mist once or twice a day, and i see him drink often.
Fecal Description - brownish black colour with white dropping
History - he was bred by a friend of mine.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - glass with 2 semi-screen sides, approx 18x12
Lighting - ikea house bulb, i dont use uvb bulb. i always sunbath
Temperature - 23C-26C
Humidity - i dont monitor that
Plants - no live plants, only fake ones
Placement - in my room.
Location - Abu Dhabi, UAE

Current Problem - i recently installed a 13W exo terra UVB150 last friday in his enclosure, used it for a few hours before i realized it was very close then removed it until he grows and i get a bigger cage. since then he has been lethargic and sleeping during most of the day, and when i wake him up he drinks fine, but ate one roach this saturday and never ate then. he's about 1 inch (maybe less) and still hasn't shed his first shed yet and his siblings are huge compared to him and already shed. is he the runt of his clutch ? i am really worried that im about to faint. i dont wanna lose him:(

I am in no way an expert but my thinking is that during the time he was exposed to the UVB 150 light, he became extremely dehydrated. You might consider giving him a 30 minute mist shower in the bathtub to try to get him fully hydrated. Maybe more senior members can confirm &/or provide more possibilities but dehydration is the first thing that stands out to me.

How many insects has he been eating regularly?

Young chameleons usually eat like horses - and I would expect a two month old to be consuming between 15 and 20 small insects a day.

Do you offer a variety of other insects other than roaches and worms?

Sleeping during the day indicates a problem.

With a chameleon that young, my advice would be to get him to a vet.

I am in no way an expert but my thinking is that during the time he was exposed to the UVB 150 light, he became extremely dehydrated. You might consider giving him a 30 minute mist shower in the bathtub to try to get him fully hydrated. Maybe more senior members can confirm &/or provide more possibilities but dehydration is the first thing that stands out to me.

The exo terra bulb is flourscent and does not emit heat.

How many insects has he been eating regularly?

Young chameleons usually eat like horses - and I would expect a two month old to be consuming between 15 and 20 small insects a day.

Do you offer a variety of other insects other than roaches and worms?

Sleeping during the day indicates a problem.

With a chameleon that young, my advice would be to get him to a vet.

1-3 roaches per day. I feed him until he stops eating by himself. Not at the moment cuz I have dubias but are too wide to fit in his mouth.
I just saw him trying to get something out of his eye. I guess it's the UVB and his eyes are recovering

I doubt 13w of any light will do anything. Why would you try to breed a 2 month chameleon? He should ddfinitely be eating more. There is a deeper issue at hand, and the 13w bulb isn't it.

I doubt 13w of any light will do anything. Why would you try to breed a 2 month chameleon? He should ddfinitely be eating more. There is a deeper issue at hand, and the 13w bulb isn't it.

hes gone and i feel terrible :(
and i mean that he is from a clutch that a friend hatched, his parents belong to him

Back
Top Bottom