Help!!!

greth32

Hello,
I have a bit of an emergency (or not) and don't know what to do. I know absolutely nothing about chameleons. I live in Andalucia, Spain. Have no idea what kind of chameleons we all have here but one tiny little one (2 inch body) has decided to sit in my window. it is night time now so he/she does not have a heat source and I did read somewhere that he should be hibernating now. He is definitely alive because i can see him breathe. His colour is very pale. Almost white. Is there anything that I should/can be doing for this little one?
Thanks.

Most chams can handle the cold at night, as long as its not below freezing.

Chams don't really hibernate like a bear does, but they do slow down and what not.

post a photo and we can try to identify it.

pick

Here he/she is. Really gorgeous!!
It does not get colder than 8 celcius here. Right now nights are still around 15 celcius.
I am also a bit worried for him because I have 4 cats. They have brought one (big one) in before and I don't want that to happen again. That was horrible. According to my Spanish neighbour there are many around. They are also protected as far as I know.
Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 180
its an Chamaeleo chamaeleon.. they are very rare ..

it looks like it has something on his eye.. a dark spot or something..

They are threatened with extinction.

I don't think there is anything you really need to do for him. If he really is a Common Chameleon then he naturally lives in your part of the world. Try and keep your cats away if you can, obviously, but I don't think he needs any help. When chameleons sleep the muscles that control their color changes relax and they turn pale, almost white, as you can see. As for as his eye, just looks closed to me. Your lucky to live in a place were chameleons naturally live! Just admire him while you can, and he will move on when the sun comes back up.

as its young, the skin around the eye thin, so the blood tends to show up as black around this area.

I dont think there is anything wrong with the eye.

Thanks so much for all your answers. I'm a bit more at ease now.
I do really apereciate all the creatures that live here in the Spanish
Campo. You should see the spiders! Huge! Amazing!
Anyway, I am going to keep an eye on him! He is just so tiny. But I do think
He belongs in nature.

so very cool. much cooler than the invasive stuff that has taken over FL. I hardly ever see any green tree frogs anymore. Only the larger Cuban tree frogs now. We also hardly ever see native green anoles anymore. 20yrs ago it was probably 25% green to 75% brown. Now its more like 5% green to 95% brown. We have one adult male green anole, and couple of resident green females that we keep our eyes on.

If it continues to sit there it may die if the temperature goes much cooler. It should find something place to brimate. You could get in touch with the authorities to see if they can do something with it so that it will survive the winter. It is a chamaeleo chameleon aka common chameleon. First species I ever hatched....they have a special place in my heart.

Back
Top Bottom