Help! :'(

I have had my chameleon for a year and bit and he has been perfectly fine, but a few weeks ago i got him a new cage. He used to have a glass and mesh cage but his new cage is a bird cage, we were planning to put perspex around it but due to the hot weather and my generally warm room we thought to wait till mid September time.He normal eats around 5-10 adult crickets per day but for the past 3 days has been eating 1-3adult crickets. Yesterday my chameleons tongue fell out his mouth...if that makes sense. Ever since the new cage he did not drink from leaves or the dripper, but he loves his veggies like cucumber and lettuces so i began using a syringe full of water and he took it well until a few days ago. A couple of hours ago his eye started to bulge and sink then go back to normal. I bought some live plants from a garden centre and noticed him eating soil from the plant pots...Can this harm him? i tried to stop him. There was also fungus in the cage which i did not know. He is back in his old glass and mesh cage with clean flooring. There is a vet about 30 miles away, but how do i get him there safely? the only ideas i have is him not getting humidity in the new cage, illness from the fungus or maybe the soil contained chemicals, vitamin A problems.....i just don't know please help :( p.s he is now asleep while i worry...

I have had my chameleon for a year and bit and he has been perfectly fine, but a few weeks ago i got him a new cage. He used to have a glass and mesh cage but his new cage is a bird cage, we were planning to put perspex around it but due to the hot weather and my generally warm room we thought to wait till mid September time.He normal eats around 5-10 adult crickets per day but for the past 3 days has been eating 1-3adult crickets. Yesterday my chameleons tongue fell out his mouth...if that makes sense. Ever since the new cage he did not drink from leaves or the dripper, but he loves his veggies like cucumber and lettuces so i began using a syringe full of water and he took it well until a few days ago. A couple of hours ago his eye started to bulge and sink then go back to normal. I bought some live plants from a garden centre and noticed him eating soil from the plant pots...Can this harm him? i tried to stop him. There was also fungus in the cage which i did not know. He is back in his old glass and mesh cage with clean flooring. There is a vet about 30 miles away, but how do i get him there safely? the only ideas i have is him not getting humidity in the new cage, illness from the fungus or maybe the soil contained chemicals, vitamin A problems.....i just don't know please help :( p.s he is now asleep while i worry...

there are a lot of variables at play, it could be any number (or combo) of them. If you have a minute, fill this out (https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/) and some of the resident vets might be able to point something out

in terms of the eye bulging, they do that to clean their eyes, but it shouldnt be a frequently occurring thing (generally during misting).
eating soil genearlly isnt a big issue, but if the plant soil had perlite rocks (small, porous, white) theres a decently large risk of impaction. The potting soil might also have insecticides or other dangerous chemicals if it wasnt the natural type. The fungus could be an issue, depending

getting him to a vet will be your best option at this point. A small shoe box w/ a stick or something to hang onto works well, the darkness settles them well

I would absolutely get him to a vet but most experience keepers will ask you to fill the above form out. His tongue sounds like a deficiency to me, but either way I would at LEAST call a vet experienced with exotics and ask for an opinion, but honestly he'll probably tell you to bring him in as well. After you fill out the how to ask for help, I would post as many pictures as possible!

Sounds to me like he could have damaged his tongue. Perhaps he got it stuck on the bars while shooting at something? If you can post a photo, it would be easier, but you should seriously consider a vet.

As for the plants, you need to make sure they are washed and that the soil is covered. I know there are other members whose chams eat soil, but my understanding is it could be a sign of something missing from the diet. Are you providing a good variety of feeders that are well gutloaded and properly supplemented?

Back
Top Bottom