Help!

Chazza

Hi I have an 8 month old veils Cham who is always really lively is listless, her eyes are sunken and she has not eaten for a couple of days!
Also her rear end looks swollen! Please help me!

Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Every day she is very friendly
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? Locust mostly
What amount? 2-3 3 times a week
How are you gut-loading your feeders? I leave potato in with them
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Nutrobal once or twice a week
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? She has a bowl as i was told when i brought her that that was how she was raised but will buy a mister
Do you see your chameleon drinking? Very rarely
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Brown and sloppy
Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?no
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. She is normally really lively but now doesn't move

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen mesh 3-2-2
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? No bran it is just what was sold when we brought her
What is your daily lighting schedule? She is turned on at 8 and turned off at 10pm
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Unknown! she is my first cham and i was told a heat lamp needed to be always on in the cage but nothing else!
Lowest overnight temp? 19 degrees c
How do you measure these temps? By the lowest room temp

Plants - Are you using live plants? Yes
If so, what kind! I do not know the name of it but brought it with her
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? It is down a country road no fans! it is near an window
At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? 5 ft
Location - Where are you geographically located?uk essex

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. She is not eating is listless has a swollen read end and sunken eyes

A laying bin needs to be 12 inches high and filled with sand/ cocobrick, moist enough for her to tunnel and the tunnel not collapse. You will find a very good blog by jannb on here. Do you have photos?
There are a few things you could to help her. With sunken eyes it sounds like she may be dehydrated. If you could get a spray bottle with warm water and spray her enclosure for a couple of mins x 4 times a day. She will hopefully lick the drips from the leaves. You need plain calcium every feed and use nutrabol once a week , it contains d3 and giving it every feed is not good. You need a thermometer to measure the basking temp. Too hot will encourage egg formation, too cold and she will not be able to digest food. If you go to the home page and click on chameleon care you will find lots of info there. Also I'm glad you are removing the water dish.:)https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/jannb/345-egg-laying-laying-bin.html
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/chameleons/

you did not state how long you have owned her? If you were told you need a basking light only then you are lacking a uvb light which is CRUCIAL for their well being and survival.

I have owned her for around 5-6 months! She has a uv bulb an a black heat lamp! I will get her a mister and make sure has a laying bin! Thankyou so much for all your help! I will follow all your advice!

I hope this helps

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 134
I would put lots more foliage in there also it could do with more vines or sticks to walk on. Why the black heat lamp?:)

my gosh she does not look like she has a comfortable spot to bask.:eek: Looks like she has to hang vertical. Also looks like she can get too close to the light. Maybe the pics are deceiving, I don't know. I would get way more foliage in there. Get some horizontal branches or direct your vine horizontally about 8 inches under the basking bulb. You do not need a black light. They serve no purpose. What is the water dish for? Please post some close up pics of her.

Is it a UV or a UVA or a UVB bulb? It is crucial that you have the correct bulb in there. The UVB bulb is the one that you want to use. This bulb should be replaced every 6 to 12 months depending on what brand it is.

I would ditch the black heat lamp and switch to a regular household bulb. Make sure her backing temp is spot on to the care sheet.

Get rid of the water bowl as chameleons do not drink from standing water. It is only a breeding ground for bacteria.

The care sheets are a great resource and provide lots of information.

The misting that Kate talked about is very important as well. You should be misting 3 - 4 times a day at least.

She is not doing well! I might take her to the vets! I will definately resort her enclosure thought!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 91
if you can get some more pics of her that would be good. She could have eggs and maybe becoming ill from not having a place to lay.

You test your uv bulb to see if it is even working because if it is 6 months old it can be putting out nothing but heat which your chameleon really needs the uv.

I would also consider your gutloading. Potato doesn't really give the nutrents you want you cham to have. There are some good commercial gutloads you can use that are fairly quick and easy, also Jan B has some great gutloading blogs. I usually use a bugburger, chameleon superfood gutload as my base, and throw in greens, carrots and fresh fruit for them to snack on.
Hope your baby gets better soon!

Back
Top Bottom