Help with Veiled digging issue (New Owner)

pozativenrgy

Hello,

New Veiled owners here. My wife and I purchased our girl on impulse last week and definitely should of done more research. Well, I put a potted plant in her flexarium after a redesign and this morning she was digging down in the plant. After reading online I have found that she is trying to lay eggs. My concern is this pot wasn't intended for this and I'm concerned. She has been down there for at least 4 to 6 hours. Also concerned her tunnel may have collapsed on her. In my reading I have found out they are very shy during this so I haven't really checked in the cage or moved the pot. Please help, not sure what to do.

Pictures please....

If you really believe the tunnel collapsed you need to look and make sure it didn't. When they lay they back into the tunnel. head would be pointed out. When they are digging all you would see is a tail and her moving in and out to maneuver the dirt.

I was able to zoom in on this and I dont think it has collapsed as there are alot of roots. But is that another concern? Could she get tangled? I appreciate your help.

Attachments

• IMG-0033.jpg
    IMG-0033.jpg
    363.7 KB · Views: 96
I was able to zoom in on this and I dont think it has collapsed as there are alot of roots. But is that another concern? Could she get tangled? I appreciate your help.
Nope. They do often prefer laying against roots. Cover the visible parts of her enclosure and don’t disturb her. If she sees you watching, she may stop digging/laying. It’s a process that can take a couple of days. Have some hornworms or silkworms on hand for when she’s done to help rehydrate her and build back her strength.

Ok, made it through the night and she has eaten. Now as I don't plan on keeping the eggs, how long should I wait before I go in and dig them out?

Hi and welcome. Hope your girl is doing good. It would be a good idea to dig out (when suitable and appropriate) your girls eggs and count them for future reference along with keeping a calendar of all feedings and amounts to give you a clear indication of any changes needed to keep clutch sizes to the minimum. This is just to give you an idea this is not only helpful for you but if any vet visits where to be required.

Attachments

• 20201207_171620.jpg
    20201207_171620.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 68
She did fill in the hole
If she filled in the hole then that would indicate she is done. I would leave them today and let her recoup. Then tomorrow pull the plant and take out all the eggs. Count them to see how many there were.

With females we really want to see clutches that are 20 or less. Larger clutches indicate they are being overfed and temps too warm.
For her you will want to make sure her temp at basking is 78-80 max. and for feeding you will feed her 3 days a week and no more then 3 feeders each feeding.

Please let us know what questions you may have about her husbandry. For full info on set up of an enclosure and what you will want to provide this is a great husbandry program you can read through. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

This is her setup for now. We plan on getting a Dragon Strand for a more permanent home.

Attachments

• 18F4CCC6-1BD8-4432-A3D8-D5E5EF0A0BDA.jpeg
    18F4CCC6-1BD8-4432-A3D8-D5E5EF0A0BDA.jpeg
    308.5 KB · Views: 96
  • C01CFB38-A6EC-4040-BF88-07131498FDF6.jpeg
    C01CFB38-A6EC-4040-BF88-07131498FDF6.jpeg
    208.9 KB · Views: 66
Hi . Could you possibly fill out a husbandry form which can be found found in the health section under how to ask for help. Or maybe a member will add it . So artificial plants are not recommended for veileds as some eat them which is an impaction risk so only live . Which I will add. Also what light fixture do you have a long linear t5ho is recommended either a repti sun 5% or arcadia 6% as the dome fixture sold in a lot of pet stores are not suitable for chameleons. Your Chameleon would also benefit from a lot more branches for climbing and live plants as mentioned to help make her feel safe this is my enclosure not perfect but to give an idea

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201227-171839_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201227-171839_Chrome.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 78
  • Screenshot_20201216-113041_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20201216-113041_Drive.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 84
  • 20210227_124143.jpg
    20210227_124143.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 73
Back
Top Bottom