Help with starting a Dubia colony

Kevlar03

0314161827.jpg

Hey guys. Kevlar loves Dubias, as you can't really see he is eyeing 1up in my hand. He will take 1 virtually every time I show him 1. So I'm interested in starting a colony. We have a local store that sells crickets. They are really nice looking, healthy and .10 apc. So I really don't mind picking those up every week. Plus they stink and I don't want a colony. He hasn't taken to super or meal worms yet. Haven't tried them in his new set-up, so he may now.

I understand how to keep them with a large bin with a screened top, warmth and food. I guess I'm looking for some help on how to start? Any suggestions?

Thanks! Btw love the forum!

You can buy a starter kit via online and then just have them breed until a colony is established. It will take roughly a year if you are starting from scratch. I was able to find someone local who already had one going. He gave me like 200 mixed sizes dubia and now I have several thousand. Definitely one of the easiest to breed and maintain. I give mine food about twice a week, good luck.

Kevlar looks like a stunning boy! Dubias are VERY easy to breed, once they get going they go good! If I'm correct the females can live up to 2 years and males up to one year, so that's way longer than crickets. Keep them warm and feed them a lot of veggies and they'll multiply rapidly. As I understand oranges is sort of a breeding stimulator for them.

You can buy a starter kit via online and then just have them breed until a colony is established. It will take roughly a year if you are starting from scratch. I was able to find someone local who already had one going. He gave me like 200 mixed sizes dubia and now I have several thousand. Definitely one of the easiest to breed and maintain. I give mine food about twice a week, good luck.
Awesome! I'll check that out, thanks!

Great! Thanks for the reply. I'm going to check out ordering a colony online and hopefully have a head start.

Get at least 50 females and 25 males, it's better if you can get more females than that though, a ratio of 3 females to 2 males is the best and causes less wing chewing between males.

And give them as many egg crates as you can fit in the tub, males will start to establish territory as soon as you put them in. At least my males do with every cleaning. Healthy and happy dubia will eat like machines. I have a colony of 700-1000 and they'd eat me out of house and home if I let them <3 I love them.

Back
Top Bottom