Help with Silkworms???

ARG! My Silkworms made cocoons. What do I do now??? It's icky I didn't want them to do that, I thought I would have fed them off faser than that but I have a lot left.

When I had silks for my beardie, I used to wait until the silks emerged from their cocoons and then feed the moths to him.

How many cocoons do you have so far? You can wait for the moths to emerge about a month later and use them as feeders or you can let them breed, lay eggs and then feed them chow until they are big enough worms again to feed off. Either way your still feeding your cham.

How many cocoons do you have so far? You can wait for the moths to emerge about a month later and use them as feeders or you can let them breed, lay eggs and then feed them chow until they are big enough worms again to feed off. Either way your still feeding your cham.

Okay, what should I do with the ones that are in cocoons? There are still some in there that aren't. Should I put them in a separate container or a small carrier I have?

The ones that have spun you can leave put or place into a smaller tubberwear. I put them into a smaller sized (lunchmeat size) container that I have cut the top of the lid out and hot glued screen to it for ventilation. I put the cocoons in this container so that when they emerge into moths a month later they can breed in that container.

The rest of the silkworms that are large enough to start spinning I would leave in a larger container. Putting toilet paper rolls and crumpled stiff paper will give them something to attache their cocoons too. Try not to disturb one that is in the middle of spinning as they will restart and may die trying.

I think I would let them hatch and set them free, that would be cool.

They don't fly or eat anything so setting them free would be a waste. They will just get eaten up by something else anyways. Their sole purpose is to breed and die.

Back
Top Bottom