Help with new enclosure.

EmilyJay

So on Saturday I'm going to pick up the enclosure pictures below (3ft (w) x 2ft (d) x 4ft (h). Now I know I need to change it from a ceramic light to a 60-100w bulb (been told reflector?) and place new UV strips in there (they're Arcadia T8). I'm going out to buy some new plants, I already have a stat and temp/humidity gauge (currently keep Royals/Boas). I've ordered a little dripper & a misting bottle (will invest in a MistKing eventually).

I'm going to set it all up and run to see what humidity I get/temps/etc.

Anything else I need to get/am missing?

(Ps - I know I need to seal the edges and I also will remove & mesh the roof if need be).
(Pss - I don't really want to use a mesh cage and I have cats and don't trust their integrity)

Thanking you :)

12799098_10209013950291120_8405598035635299373_n.jpg

With it appearing to be solid sided enclosure, I would try and work some ventilation ports.Maybe in the lower back cut out a 3'x1' section a place a screen back there. If the top is solid as well you will want to make it screen as well. That should be good enough to create a up draft for better air circulation. You don't want the basking bulb inside the enclosure or any bulbs for that matter! With all the misting and such you don't want your cham to crawl on a bulb and get burnt or a mister shorting out or shattering the bulbs!
Look cool though!!

Well this picture is actually off the person I'm buying from. As for bulbs inside the enclosure - I've been told by an enourmous amount of people with wooden vivs that you can get waterproof covers & such so that shouldn't be a problem. I would happily put things on the top but it's going to be next to my bookcase which my cats sit on top of, I'm worried they'd knock them off when I'm at work or such. Is there a way around that? There are vents on the sides and on the top if that helps at all?

You could build a simple hood to fit over the top and protect the lights. Having the bulbs inside is a good way to get your chameleon hurt since they climb on everything they can.

It looks like there is already a hole cut on the top for the vents, so it wouldn't be hard to secure some screen over that hole and situate the bulbs over it, or if you go with your plan to make the entire top mesh (which would be better for ventilation honestly) you can made a hood that fits the entire top.

I would look at moving the vents to the bottom sides and maybe add some on the top sides, whichever side won't be blocked. If you are going to use a closed wall enclosure, you need to create ways for the air to flow. Vents placed low paired with vents placed high creates a chimney effect to let hot air rise and cooler air enter.

Take the top off and go to home depot to get a sheet of white light diffusing panel. It's like $12, I use it on my custom wood enclosure. It will support some weight and will withstand standard heat bulbs,plus stays pretty cool to the touch.
Easy to clean and mount a misting system through.
20160306_210148.jpg

So we sat last night planning. We're going to mesh part of the lid to house the light & UV strip on the roof. I'm going to install vents down both sides of the viv (we're going to leave a gap between the viv and book case). We've been told to use aluminium mesh (info from our breeder) as it can deal with the heat but has dome strength to it as well. There is a 1ft cupboard built into the bottom of the viv (makes it 5ft tall in total) so I'm going to seal everything and drill a small hole in the bottom so the water excess can drip into a bucket in the cupboard underneath :)

image.jpeg
What do you guys sujust I add or take away? Her lights are off because this picture was taken during the night and the second pic is in the day awhile ago
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I see mainly packages of 6' sections...can it be bought by the roll?

The stores around me sell 2 feet long be sections they have a metal wire inside to let you bend them I don't think they sell roles you'd have to ask the store or but it online

Back
Top Bottom