Help with lighting

gosmart11

I am looking into getting a Veiled Chameleon, and I have been reading lost of different things over the past few mouths about lighting. And I have read so many different things that I am really unsure what I need, I know i need a daytime and nighttime and a heat lamp and UVB but I am unsure of the type and watts and so on. So any any help would be great, I have tried searching this site for more info but had not luck. Thanks for everyone's help.

You don't need any lights for night. During the day, use a 60 or 75 watt incandescent bulb for heat and an 18" tube flourescent ReptiSun 5.0 for UVB. Everything should be turned off at night.

i third that. You dont need any heat source at night unless it gets extremely cold as in maybe less than 55 degrees. It is healthy for the cham to cool down at night as it does in their natural environment.

I use a dark purple heat lamp at night because the temp is so low in our home at night. The light is dark and I have it on a dimmer at the lowest setting. I direct it to the opposite side of the cage from my 5 mo. old veiled. This keeps him at 62 degrees F. I also had to do this when we were in Lake Tahoe during a snowstorm. He stayed cozy at 62 at night there, too. I suppose you could use a small heater instead of the light if the room is below 60. I've put a small heater in Limey's room lately because I was having difficulty getting his basking areas to 84 degrees F. (he has moved into his bigger cage). My Limey is very healthy looking and eats quickly and well.

lighting

i have a larger cage so I use 1 36", and 1 48" linear fluorescents and 2 100w basking but my cage is 4x4x3... lights at night are not reccommended and you just don't ant to have it tooo hot. make sure your basking is around 95-98 in my opinion...

i have a larger cage so I use 1 36", and 1 48" linear fluorescents and 2 100w basking but my cage is 4x4x3... lights at night are not reccommended and you just don't ant to have it tooo hot. make sure your basking is around 95-98 in my opinion...

Isn't that temp a bit high, especially if they are recieving a youngster? Just asking, I have more knowledge on the Panther, not the veiled, so I was wondering.

Most advise I have seen regarding a young veiled is that the basking temp should not exceed 85 F. 95 to 98 IMO is even a little hot for adults. My 1.5 year old panther will hold his mouth open if it gets that hot so I have to watch the temps especially as it warms up outside.

Most advise I have seen regarding a young veiled is that the basking temp should not exceed 85 F. 95 to 98 IMO is even a little hot for adults. My 1.5 year old panther will hold his mouth open if it gets that hot so I have to watch the temps especially as it warms up outside.

Really? :S The breeder I got my cham from (panther) suggested 90-95 for juveniles/babies, 95-100 for adults.

Really? :S The breeder I got my cham from (panther) suggested 90-95 for juveniles/babies, 95-100 for adults.
Most of what I have read is low-mod 80's is best for juveniles, and higher 80's are okay for adults. Be careful not to fry the chameleon! :p

Thanks guys for your help you have answerd a lot of my questions. I have founnd a lighting system, i really like the 24'' exo terra dual top canopy. I was just going to start out with only one of the Halogen bulbs and then the 5.0 reptisun fluorescent, does this sounds good? I will have him in a 15x15x30 cage. Once again thanks for eveyones help!!!

Back
Top Bottom